Author Topic: railway terrace, nechells  (Read 2736 times)

albi

railway terrace, nechells
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »
following on from the brill nechells thread, doe anyone have any pictures of railway terrace. i have heard so much about the old place but was far too young to remember it.

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: railway terrace, nechells
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi Albi

Sorry it took so long, Here's Railway Terrace, it even shows a bit of Newtons's.

Phil
Make Love Not War

gibson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
Hi Phil 47
 Very unlike you to make an error with your photo's,  but that photo is of Long Acre, The yard showing the washing on the line, is where friends of mine lived, and you are right, the photo does indeed show GKN [LH NEWTON ] where I worked until it closed down in the 1980s.  Gibson

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
Gibson

The trouble is when you collect photos from various sources as I do; you have to rely on the captions that come with the photo unless you know the street under discussion intimately. As I know Long Acre reasonably well, but not intimately I was guided by the title of the photo the actual title says "Long Acre near to Railway Terrace".

After checking in Kelly's Directory I find the terrace on view in the photo was actually "Sunnyside" and Railway Terrace was a little further down the street.

I get this problem quite often, and some of our well known local history writers make the most glaring mistakes, and unless these errors are discovered they will pass into Birmingham's history as fact.

I can only apologise for any confusion that I may have caused.

Phil

LONG ACRE (7), 222 Rocky
lane to Cuckoo road.
MAP 13.
EAST SIDE.
6 Ward Mrs. Lilian,
licensed brkr
here is Charles Arthtir st
2OA, Cricc Harry, coal dlr
here are Thimble Mill la.,
South Pole corner &
Walter st...