Author Topic: The Gas House Tavern Saltley  (Read 4890 times)

helens2006

The Gas House Tavern Saltley
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi
Can anyone remember The Gas House Tavern in Saltley?  My great-gran and her husband owned it from around the 1930's onwards.  Also does anyone have any photos of the pub.  I have tried doing a google search for some pics & info of this pub with no luck.

Thanks
Helen.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Gas House Tavern Saltley
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »
Hi Helens2006

Welcome to the forum, if you look on the old pubs of Birmingham thread you will see that a few of us remember the Gas House. As I have said before I only ever used the place once on hot summer’s day when I happened to be down that way.

I know the area got to be pretty rough at one time and it was just a collection of scrap yards. In fact The Gas House was part of one before they demolished it for the extra space.

There seems to be a distinct shortage of photos of the Gas House because I have never come across one in all my time of collecting photos of old Birmingham.

Phi
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »
 Hi Helens2006      I remember "THE GAS HOUSE"  very well, my late father was a stoker in the retort house, at the gas works across the road from "THE GAS HOUSE" and after his shift ended, he would go in there for his pint,  From my front room window in Cranby Street, I could see my dad coming out of the gas works gate, and go over to the gas house, that was in the 1950/60s.   Gibson

Steve

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
Helen, I can recall what it looked like, in case you don't know. It had a big rounded bay window, with a door either side. If you google earth to the Olive Branch in Adderley Road, which is only about half a mile away it is very similar, though the Gas House didn't have walls in front like the Olive Branch. Both these pubs seemed bigger on the inside that they looked from the outside, Tardis job.
  Perhaps Phil may oblige with a pic? If he has one.
                                                                                                                             Steve
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
Steve

I think I have already mentioned to Helen that other than keeping my eye open for a photo of the Gas House I am unable to help.

What she might do is get in touch with Andrew Maxam who compiles books about Birmingham and has done a couple of very good books about Birmingham pubs. If she enters his name in Google she should find Maxam Publishing she could make enquiries there. Otherwise I would suggest she nicks down to the library and asks for any books that they might have by him and look through those. You never know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Cookie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
Hi, I'm sorry to say that I cant help re pictures, but My Dad was the manager there in 1965. I remeber it well. There was a big bay window at the front, with the entrance to the right. The door on the left was to the private quarters. The bay was the bar area and at the back was the lounge, with a massive courtyard behind that at the end of which were some brick outhouses where they used to race the pidgeons from. Oh yes, my late dads name, Gerry Cooke. Good luck with the hunting, if I come across any pictures I promise to post theme here.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »
Welcome Cookie, and thanks. Hope someone will track a photo down someday.
                                                                                                   Steve.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Hi Cookie

Welcome to the forum, good luck with hunting down a photo of the Gas house. I know a lot of people that would like to see a copy of one, myself included.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jraymondj

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
Re Gas House Tavern Saltley. My father and mother were the managers of this pub in the fifties.They were Les and Win Jones. I have a couple of photos of me with them in front of the Gas House , which I will psot on the facebook page..

Steve

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
Re Gas House Tavern Saltley. My father and mother were the managers of this pub in the fifties.They were Les and Win Jones. I have a couple of photos of me with them in front of the Gas House , which I will psot on the facebook page..
Cracking, I look forward to seeing those. Had some great Sat nights there.

jraymondj

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy