Author Topic: 1881 census Smith's of Worcester  (Read 3959 times)

AnnMarie

1881 census Smith's of Worcester
« on: November 12, 2006, 05:58:31 AM »
Hi, Is there any one who might be related to the Smith family of High Street, Northfield Worcester{ now Birmingham}. I am looking for any information on John Smith born about 1869--he did go in the Royal Navy--he did married my great grandmother Catherine Trainer of Glasgow--and they were my grandmother's parents.  Smith is a hard name to research.  Any little bit of info would be so much appreciated. He did live in Sparkbrook from about 1902 untill he died about 1920'ish

Thank you, Cheers
AnnMarie :)

Ann W

Re: 1881 census Smith's of Worcester
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 06:51:19 AM »
Hi AnnMarie.

Have you had a look at "rootschat" maybe do a posting in Warwickshire on there,  i also have "smiths" 3 different lots, it is a very hard name to research,  good luck

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

best wishes
Ann

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
AnnMarie,
   As you say Smith is a wicked name to trace. Do you have any other info i.e parents names or place of birth/marriage? I have many genealogy software i can search but most are before 1900.
   So any other info you have no matter how small will help and i will then do my best.

Bannion

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:55 PM »
Ann-Marie,
Can I presume you have traced John in the 1881 Census and are seeking information since then?
If it is the correct Smith in 1881 he lived at 19, Heath Street, Kings Norton - one of eight siblings of William aged 40 a compositor born Sneinton, Nottingham and his wife Harriet aged 42 of Cotgrove, Nottingham
Is this what you seek?

AnnMarie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 05:20:51 AM »
Hello Ann W,
Thank you for your posting on my "John Smith".
I will have a look on your 'rootschat'--it is hard with a name on Smith, but the we must persevere.
Have a good day, cheers
AnnMarie :)

AnnMarie

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:29:46 AM »
Hi Jacuqeline,

Thank you for you posting on my "John Smith"--well I dont have a lot of information--just what was on the 1881 census--I thnk he's my John Smith--only because his brother was a chimney sweep--and my great grandfather-John Smith--was a sweep after he lelft the Royal Navy--and his son-in-law--my Grandfather was a sweep after he came out of the army in 1918--hope that all makes sence to you--also his mother was Ann and his brother was Thomas--and John Smith named his children Thomas and my Grandmother was Ann--we do clutch at straws --dont we--LOL

Thank you, have a good day.

Cheers AnnMarie :)

AnnMarie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:43:34 AM »
Hi Bannion,

Thank you for your posting on my John Smith--well I dont think they are the same really--I do know that my John Smith's Father was born in Belfast--I think they must have left Ireland in the "potatoe famine" also Ann Smith was a widow on the 1881 census.  On the 1902 census my John Smith was still in the navy living in Devon--where my Grandmother was born--and John Smith's birth was Birrmingham Warwick. I know he lived in Birmingham in about 1904 because his son Thomas was born there.
Thank you anyway. I will keep digging and one day --who knows--I might be lucky.

Have a good day, cheers

Ann Marie :)

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:08 PM »
Ann Marie,
    I see what you mean. I looked at the 1881 census you mentioned then tried to track back through the 1871 census but found no trace of the family with those children. I did find one in Harborne with a Francis listed but this turned out to be a daughter not the Frank on the 1881. It could be possible that Francis was enumerated wrongly as a female as the dates match but as you know it's no good to presume in this game.

Your best bet would be to get a copy of the marriage certificate for John and Catherine as this would give John's fathers name and help to narrow down the search a little.

Sorry i could not come up with anything better.

Jackie

AnnMarie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:44:17 AM »
Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for your emal and taking the time to look up the census.

I have had no luck with a marriage certificate-up to yet--but will persevere.

Have a good week-end,

Cheers, AnnMarie :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy