Author Topic: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s  (Read 91771 times)

Shirley

Re: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
Hi Folks,

I used to go to Mothers in the late 60's mainly Friday Nights one week you would have Pete Drummond and the week after John Peel. I saw the reformation of Traffic " i waited ages to get in" Taste was another band i saw there sorry to hear that Rory Gallagher died a few years ago. Henry's Blues house (The Crown Station Street) was another favourite venue of mine, does anyone remember sunday lunch time gigs at the Swan Yardley? I think most people that went there went to Mothers on the Saturday Night we were all still drunk from the night before!! and then on Sunday night we used to end up in the Sabbath Disco at the Yew Tree "God knows how we got up for work on the Monday Morning!!.
Monday night was a good night in the Alambrah Pub under the old Savoy Hotel, Peter York used to be there! Happy days no money till pay day on Friday!!   :)

Mike

ernst

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
Has anyone any internal photos? I was just that bit too young to get in (my mum and dad wouldn't let me). :-[
But I used to stand outside and hear the bands warm up!

roystonp123

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
hello sheldonboy
I was a member of the mothers club high street erdington.It was the Carlton club when i joined in 1961/2.Then it changed to mothers club.There was Sreaming lord Sutch ( i got his autograph) along wth Ronnie Savage who was on the drums.We my girlfriend and i did not go there for long
as there was some problem or trouble.I was more into trad jazz Acker Bilk Kenny Ball Chris barber
so that club was not my scene.

frederick

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
Royston123,
welcome to the forum, did you ever see Chris Barber at the Swan Yardley up stairs on a Sunday lunch time they had jazz bands there every week. i also saw Screaming Lord Such at the Carlton club throwing his hair through a fire on the stage :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

sheldonboy

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
Hi Cliff and Bluenose
Thanks for coming on to our forum and talking about Mothers, anyone who ever went there will know how unique it was.
Yes Cliff I remember Lenny very well he wasn't the biggest guy in the whole world but he was one of the hardest yet most placid of blokes, until you pulled the wrong strings....
Bluenose  yes I was at the American all nighter, The actual band roll was Moby Grape, Group Therapy ( they were the only American bands) and The best band of the night was a three piece London outfit called Giant. they were one of the least known bands I ever saw at Mothers but they were so good. The all nighter went on untill 6am. Considering the fact that we had about  8 hours on Mothers 1/6p per pint scrumpy cider my mate Paul and myself wobbled home quite well. Thanks for the reminder.     Sheldonboy. :P
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

sheldonboy

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
Hi Shirley ,
Nice to hear your memories of Mothers, I don't remember Pete Drummond at Mothers but maybe he arrived later. I had to stop going just before the end as iI had started work as Full time Barman at the Chestnut Tree Sheldon, you may Know it as you Knew the Swan and the Yew Tree.
I never saw the Traffic Gig but Taste were a Phenomenal Band but of course any Band with Rory Gallagher would be.
I did go to the Alhambra on occasion  and around the same time was known to be found In Bogarts Beer Kellar on New Street, and/ or The Parisiene, Cannon Street, As my mate John Warwick was resident DJ at both places at various times.
Nice to read your memories , they were good times in Brum until The Mulberry Bush and The Tavern in the Town were hit. Brums Pub and Club trade were hit very badly. Here's to all the good people we lost.  Sheldonboy.

sheldonboy

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
Sorry ernst
Can't help you with Mothers photo's if only digital was around then I could and would have taken thousands. All our money went into seeing the Bands.
  Sheldonboy.

Fatangel

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Ernst,

I have original photos but they are the mostly the same as the ones printed in the Mothers book so you're probably best getting a copy of that.

On the subject of all nighters does anyone remember an all nighter at the old Bingley Hall?
I remember The Nice and The Yardbirds amongst others. Probably 68 as it was Jimmy Page on guitar using his violin bow (New Yardbirds).
Hazy memories but a brilliant night.

sheldonboy

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 08:34:45 PM »
Hi Fatangel
 Iam again sorry to say I never went to your Bingley Hall Show.  The first time I saw Jimmy Page was at Mothers With Zeppelin.
Did you know how Nice got their name? They were PP Arnolds backing band and she said they were nice.     Sheldonboy

sheldonboy

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »
Rotston Hi mate
I did see Screaming Lord Such, or Lord David Such depending on how he felt. He did an incredible number called Jack the Ripper. He was a real Character. He also held the record for losing the most Bi- Elections.  Pity he never got in.
  Sheldonboy

Jayla

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »
 :D  All MOTHERS' CLUB LOVERS, don't fear it is BACK!!!!!!!!!!! :D

A live music showcase named "Totaly Different" is the re-creation of the Mothers Club.  There are a number of live acts from different genres of music who perform live music. 

The last show 1st july 2009 was a great success we had the likes of Lizzie Dean (who currently works with Boy George, Just Jack and other established artists) ex steel pulse member Basil Gabidon performing old favourite hits amongst other great artists.

Please see this Link. http://soundoferdopia.blogspot.com/

Our next show is Friday 4th September 2009 and we have a fantastic line up including headliner Apache Indian!  Don't just take my word for it Mothers is REALLY back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Check out these links and i hope to see you there.....................

myspace.com/totalydifferent and facebook.com/totalydifferent[/b]..........download a flyer and come and enjoy yourself!!!!!! :D

SEE YOU AT THE RECREATION OF THE MOTHERS CLUB AT ACORN PUB, ERDINGTON HIGH ST. STARTS 7.20PM, 1/2 price drinks for an hour!  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy