Author Topic: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s  (Read 91773 times)

collectordave

Re: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
 O0 thats ok maybe you can just come down have a look around .play you some sounds have a chat .i hope to invite bands that played there for meet and greet days and create some new special memories.hopefully see you soon

Sue Edge

« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Oh that's fantastic!  I've got lots of stuff, still got my membership card!  I'll dig it all out and see if I can make it over one weekend.  Is it going to be a permanent thing?
hi just to let you all know mothers music store will be opening weekending 27th july upstairs where the club was  at the end of the room where the stage i think was.please come down and see us we need all your support.we hpoe this is the first step to bringing it back to erdington.we will be selling records cds memorabillia .i willbe there most weekends getting it ready.if anybody got anymothers stuff that we can phto copy to put in the shop please come and see me.i need everyones help on this .the time is right younger generations needto know many thanks dave

collectordave

« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
 O0  hi sue thanks for replying to my post yes it will be permanent not only a music store but we will be displaying memorabillia relating to the bands that played there but we will now be opening after the reunion gig as dave dark wants to use the unit as a dressing room .all this is genuine .go and see mervin at the furniture shop erdington ask him for my contact details.there is a meeting at erdington buisness devolpment offices with people involved in the concert on 11th july 4.30 to finalise details .i myself will be selling mothers memorabillia/records/books .i know it sounds unbelievable but a dozen or so of us have been pushing to bring what was the best music place birmingham has ever seen back to erdington .all the best dave.  ps did anyone read the sunday mercury 1st july i was in the centre pages with my records and a feature about mothers . O0

Sue Edge

« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
When is this reunion gig set to happen?  Is there a date yet? I wouldn't want to miss it!

collectordave

« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
hi sue ill know more after the meeting this wednesday and ill keep everybody up to date with further posts . i dont want anyone to miss it either  the people who went to see the bands play are an important part of the legend  O0

collectordave

« Reply #203 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
 :D  to all you mothers luvers there was a feature about the reunion gig at mothers and the mothers museum/record shop in the birmingham evening mail 17/07/2011 hope you enjoyed  it O0

kathrose

« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
I used to live at 101, High Street, Erdington just down from the Carlton.  I would be there Sunday afternoons when a lot of the bands would jam there.  The Moodies was often there and I would sit and listen to them.  I saw many bands from the early 60's  and fell in love with one of the Four Pennies when he kissed me on the stairs and the police was waiting to get them away, Oh memories!  My favourite was Barmy Barry.  Barry James a DJ he would dye his hair pinks and purples, he was siad to be Jimmy Savilles understudy, he was from Manchester and I was besotted with him.  I loved seeing John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers there with Eric Clapton. 

Cher

« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
Hi folks,
It's been a while since I logged in, what with Real Life committments and ill health. Hope everyone here is keeping well! It's been fun playing "catch-up" and reading all the newer posts!
I noted there were differing opinions regarding the reason why Mothers closed so abruptly. We were told back then that it was due to fire hazard restrictions, as around that time there had been several fatalities at a similar music venue on the Continent somewhere, where the youngsters could not get out due to lack of access/egress to the building. From my recollections I would say there is a good likelihood of this being one of - if not THE reason - for it's closure.
I enjoyed the You Tube silliness, thanks for sharing lol! Wow, the local talent was, and still is, phenomenal! Years ago I wrote to Ozzy Osbourne's "fan club" and they seemed somewhat lacking in knowledge! They were apparently aware of very little of his history from the time leading up to Sabbath performing at Mothers! I knew Ozzy prior to Black Sabbath, circa '67-68 when he was in a local group called The Approach. I'm not sure whether this band preceded Rare Breed or Earth, or maybe even The Approach may have simply been renamed. I was still a schoolgirl at the time and the boys used our gym for their practice sessions (on the Lyndhurst Estate) Erdington, where my friend and I spent hours watching them. Later we would all cram into their battered old van and chug down to the Lyndhurst pub for a jar or ten, all of us in convulsions at Ozzy's antics; like dressing up in his younger brother's batman outfit and jumping out at old lady's as they crossed the carpark..... nothing changes!!!
Tell ya what, that Blue Plaque is spot on - I couldn't be more proud of my hometown!
Cher  :)

Steve

« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Shippo

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »
 :-\ Can anyone help with clear up a mystery. I have a flyer annoucing that the Grateful Dead were to play at Mothers; "MOTHERS THE HOME OF GOOD SOUNDS Proudly Present the only Midlands appearance OF THE  GRATEFUL DEAD etc" its dated Friday October 11th (no year) so that could well be 1968. Does anyone know if this concert took place, I can find no trace of it in Dead archives. And is the flyer likely to be of any value? (I also have one of Country Joe and The Fish playing on South Parade Pier (Southsea nr Portsmouth) prob around the same era, weird!

grahammothers

« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Hi Shippo, no it didn't happen, I used to compile & print those flyers on an old Gestetner in the office overlooking the High St and I would include anything that was pencilled in for a future appearance, as it happens a few (especially USA acts) would drop out for various reasons before the date. I know it's since caused a fair bit of confusion as people take it as gospel, there are plenty of other incorrect facts floating about but they've been more generated by people having  distorted memories :>) thanks Graham aka Fred

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy