Author Topic: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s  (Read 91783 times)

RobH

Re: Mothers ---High Street Erdington. Late 1960s
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:44 AM »
 "there are plenty of other incorrect facts floating about"

How true Graham. I recently found an advert for gigs at Mothers that was published in the Birmingham Mail on 4th May 1968. This predates the published and widely circulated opening of the club by some months.

champ

« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
I have seen the old club on u tube,just the stairs was enough to bring back memories. The guy on the video seems to have a window behind him when he thinks that he's where stage was. There was a room behind the stage and a small bar to the righ side of the door into the room. The stage was against the wall. I went in once with Rory Gallagher, and the room was quite large, so the stage would be forward of the window by some distance.

cowshedman

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
Only just found this board. The message from Mark G about Fairport Convention brings back many memories. I  have the flyer from that fateful night (May 11 1969), in a frame on the wall at home which has been on display ever since.. I also recall seeing Sandy Denny when she returned with Fotheringay, but do not have the flyer for that performance. If anyone has it and would like to swop for a mint condition flyer for Tyrannosaurus Rex on May 17th then plaese let me know. I also have the flyer for Pentagle from Feb the same year.
Another great set I can recall was by Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac which almost took the roof off.

Mistytdog

« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
Hello everyone, enjoyed reading the stories of mothers. Brand new here but I'm a huge pink Floyd and led Zep  fan and have been working on compiling posters, flyers, tickets etc for a book about the bands history. If anyone here has any pink Floyd or led zeppelin related items from mothers for sale or available otherwise, please get in touch! Will pay top dollar or love to see photos, etc.. Thanks! M

SidewaysSyd

« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »
Hi MistyDog...got your email. I'm afraid a talk to me about my memories of the Zeppelin and Floyd gigs would not fill much of your book! Perhaps the back of a postage stamp. My memories of individual gigs have faded. Happy to talk to you but I'd contact others on the forum for tangible memories if I were you. Of course, what I do have is the Mothers poster from the night of the Floyd Ummagumma recording. Anyone with an hour to spare in the centre of Brum can go and see it in the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery current exhibition 'Birmingham: its people, its history'
I can send you a digital image of it for your book. I've also got a flyer from B'ham Town Hall for Zeppelin's first Town Hall gig, with the cover of their first album and a poster from the 1970 Bath Festival which featured Zep too. I can send you digital images of them too.
Oh, and the mysterious purple paper 'Pink Floyd Mothers Day' poster which is unlike any other Mothers poster.

Christy lee

« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
Hi I Remember Argent early Gig, Renaissance with Keith Relf and I believe Jako Pastorius,standing in with them on bass..Chicago(Transit Authority ,as they were known then)) was the hottest gig I've ever been too.
One double bill with Pink Fairies and maybe the first gig of Hawkwind,who seemed simply smashed.Both drummers completly naked in a huge jam later.also remember Stan Webb's Chicken Shack when John Bonham got up and jammed and did a animalistic solo. Happy Days,with good friend Bernie Lamb,wonder where he is?,now.

grahammothers

« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
This might be of interest to some of you, Stan Webb's Chicken Shack are playing the Hare & Hounds in Kings Heath tomorrow (Wednesday 10th)

wam

« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
Hi I Remember Argent early Gig, Renaissance with Keith Relf and I believe Jako Pastorius,standing in with them on bass..Chicago(Transit Authority ,as they were known then)) was the hottest gig I've ever been too.
One double bill with Pink Fairies and maybe the first gig of Hawkwind,who seemed simply smashed.Both drummers completly naked in a huge jam later.also remember Stan Webb's Chicken Shack when John Bonham got up and jammed and did a animalistic solo. Happy Days,with good friend Bernie Lamb,wonder where he is?,now.
So I'm much too young for this line. I saw Rod Argent as part of Barbara Thompson's backing band at a jazz gig (Strathallan?) once, Illusion (the old Renaissance after Keith but still with Jane and McCarty) play support at the Town Hall, and a bunch of Hawkwind shows at the Odeon. ... and I never once resorted to a revival of Chicken Shack.

davidc

« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
Stan is so gutted, Wam! 8) :(
Power corrupts

healey

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
A very late reply........I was 16years old when I saw Tyrannasuarus Rex  ( Bolan and Took) at Mothers club.... that was of course when he was still an acoustic player... ( he was late discovering electricity). I was a massive Tyrannasaurus Rex fan.... never really a T.Rex fan. Its amazing that the venue was so relatively small....I only ever went to see them........ pity I would have loved to have seen  Floyd.

phil tarmey

« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
just caught reference to mothers, brings back good memories, used to hang out with plod dave warwick. hitched down to iow hendrix festival with warwick. memories somewhat blurred  for that time, wonder why?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy