Author Topic: birmingham fire and ambulance service  (Read 25259 times)

tramp

Re: birmingham fire and ambulance service
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi brumas,

Thanks for the info about your vehicles, so you too are a Bedford fan.  I was army and I loved to drive anything, and when I became an officer, it was easier to wangle that.  The Bedford RL (which was later the Green Goddess) was a lovely drive, and any Landrover or tank - my first license was for a tank (Gp 6 Tracked vehicle) if I recall rightly.  For sheer 'majesty' there was nothing like a Thorneycroft Mughty Antar tank transporter......you started easing off over 300 yards before a roundabout on the A1!

Like Fred who lives near Tenby, you've found yourself a nice part of the country, congratulations.  I've spent most of my adult life abroad and now live in Santo Domingo, on the old pirate island of Hispaniola.  Today, 2/3 rds of it is the Dominican Republic, with Haiti on the western side....but we've still got pirates -  just like in UK, they're in govt.

Most ambulances here are private and so expensive - a few pollies ''present'' one to their
constituency.   The local Red Cross have 3 or 4 but they're not in daily use (so what use are they really?)

Ex-Pat John

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 06:29:57 AM »
The "Bull nosed Bedford." I tried to find a photo of 205, which is still maitained and part of the museum, and a motor I used a good few times. Enjoyed throwing them around, and then I was the first to use a slide door transit. Falcon4 it was.....long years ago now.
Hope this link works.

It ain't 'alf 'ot mom!

Ex-Pat John

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »
Found this one, Bristol Road or Henrietta St based if I remember my fleet numbers correctly.

Very strange. I have since discovered that this is, in fact, 205. I've found another photo of it and the registration is the same, but seems the first photo has some modifications.

It ain't 'alf 'ot mom!

brumas

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
just to see photos is really great my first shift amb was 222,then 213

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
I joined Birmingham Ambulance Service in 1968 and have just retired after 44 years service.With regard to Bedford Ambulance 205 COA 123 C,I am the present custodian although the vehicle still belongs to the service.It is at present located at the ambulance heritage society's base near Mansfield along with LOV 44 F and about 40 other vintage ambulances from around the country.The society's web site is ambulanceheritagesociety.com  we can also be found on facebook and twitter.It is our aim to open a heritage centre where these vehicles and memorabilia can be displayed.

droberts

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Do any of you remember the f/station in ward end park?

vauxonion

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Do any of you remember the f/station in ward end park?

In the Park?? there,s been one by the library for as long as I can remember.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
I was able to pick this up
"Facing the current Fire Station on Washwood Heath Road, a wooden fire engine shed, a Nissan-hut like building, housed the local fire engine and firemen until the new fire station was built in 1980".

From this webpage about Ward End Park, I'm assuming that the fire station was on land that that belonged to the park that fronted Washwood Heath Park.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

droberts

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
The reason for my enquiry was that if it hadn't been there, I would not be writting today, you see having fallen from a spear shaped fence tearing my arm very badly, I was about eight years old this was the late forties, I was transported from that fire service dept situated in the park by a black ambulane to the Queen Elizabeth hospital.  Twenty eight horse hair stiches later and about a week later I was allowed home,any pic's please. droberts

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
Denzil

The actual location of the Fire Station on the edge of the park, prior to it's rebuild.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

droberts

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks for your info on the fire station, by the way"the spear shaped fence was to keep us away from the train track" but kids being kids" I was lifted over on to the lines and when a train was spotted they were of "like a shot"leaving me behind. I did end up on top of the fence but instead of jumping away I simply" dropped like a brick" catching my arm on the top,(spear). Question where was that train trailine? Cheers Denzil.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy