Author Topic: birmingham fire and ambulance service  (Read 25252 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: birmingham fire and ambulance service
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
Denzil

This must have been the rail track that you mean the black line running at the back of the park.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davered41

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
  started my time with BFAS in May 1967 and was stationed at Henrietta St for a few weeks until I volunteered to go to station 10 Aston to work with Arthur Lewis (Lou-Lou) It was a real education for me to serve on Red48. I was there for two years and then onto Red41 to work with Bob Norman at Henrietta St and we did our stint on Red49 at The Acci MIU. Oh happy days!! after getting injured at work I spent time in the Staff office and also Ambulance control room.The service of that time was kept down by our fire brigade masters who hated the fact that they had lost the job that they once enjoyed covering the "reds". e mail me if this jogs your memory

Tillingham Tim

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Hi, My connection with the B'ham fire service was during WW11 when my Dad, Fred Eborn joined the AFS in 1940/41 or maybe earlier as he was sent to Coventry with his section during the blitz. Brum was also hit badly and I remember him pointing out smoldering buildings in Deritend and referring to them as some of their "Saves", he always had a sense of humour. Later the AFS was intergrated into the NFS and recently in the Fire Service Museum in Melbourne I got a bit of a lump in the throat to see a NFS badge in their display of fire services throughout the world.
My brother -in -law Robert Terence Day also joined the B'ham Fire Brigade when he married my sister, basically to get the accomodation that came with the job, c1949/50 and they were allocated a top story flat at Cotteridge F/station and had one of the best views of the city (really pretty at night). The drawback was that it was on the 3rd floor and there was no lift, accordingly the Silver Cross pram bought by my parents was left at ground floor. He was later tranfered to Central Fire Station . Lots more to tell but that's a start if anyone is interested

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
Hi Tim

Of course we are interested in your recollections, my own son served at the stations you mention. Central and Cotteridge as well as a good few others in Birmingham, he even did his induction course at Coventry as did all WMFS recruits when he joined. He is just about to retire with a quite high rank and I bet if your father is still around he could tell him of many changes in the service over the years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JT

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
Well hello Cousin, didn't realise Uncle Fred was in the NFS, I heard that Fred and your mum Nellie had passed on. How long has it been, I was in Melbourne ten years ago ! Do you remember Audrey, Andrew, Jonnie (me), Josephine and Judith. we got some catching up to do if you like. Incidentally I was at Station 5 Moseley rd AFS A1090 so how about that.

Tillingham Tim

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Hi cousin JT nice to hear from you, have sent a PM so we can get in touch and catch up with some family history etc. It sure shows you what a really small world we live in. Mom and Dad have indeed passed on  when they were in their 80's not a bad innings from such a poor start in the first place and not easy going through the Depression and WW2. There is a great saying about that. Will go now as it is time for my weekly chat to my sister Jeanne who now lives in Andover. More another time. TTFN.

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
My father was in the NFS AFS and BFAS and served at Albion Street Ward End and Wash Lane.I remember going to the old house in Ward End Park for the Firemens christmas parties.I myself joined BFAS in March 1968 and finally retired in May this year after 44 years service.I now while away my hours at the Ambulance Heritage Society where a fleet of 40 plus vehicles are maintained and restored .There is also an extensive collection of memorabilia .It is our aim to open a Heritage Centre where people can view and enjoy ambulance history from the 1800's up to the modern era.Amongst the collection is a 1950  Austin Welfarer Ambulance [ex Birmingham ] J1 Bedford 205 and a replica of a BFAS Austin Princess.We also have the old Dunlop Morris LD works vehicle and under restoration we have a Morris Commercial CV11 which was once the MC works ambulance. 205 Mal

Tillingham Tim

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
Hi Malcom, Fellow Newbie, Nice to know that you are putting your retirement to good use.My time seems to be spent between working with my wife of 48 years,Maggie, trying to keep our old timber home in a resonable state and keep our garden safe for walking through. When asked what the garden is like I reply,"It's Colonial Overgrown".We also have a pre-owned labradore who feel I have nothing else to do but take him for walks, but the excersise keeps me fairly fit. I dont rember much about the christmas parties at CentralFire Station as I was born in 1938 but I was the proud owner of a regulation cap that my father painted field grey to be worn by Adolf Hitler in a sketch put on at a xmas "Do". I was also not allowed to play on the billiard tables as I put a bit of a rip in the green baize top.
I've mentioned the Fire Service Museum in Melbourne down this side the world,well worth a visit to anyone passing through.One of the star exhibits is a fire engine built on the chasis of Dame Nellie Melba's limo which was rescued and restored. Cheers to all, Tim

merv1948

merv wright---white watch---A2 Aston.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
Hello everyone--is there anyone left alive or around that remembers del bird, tony mcarthy,Dave watliss,S.O. les lippit and sub o, Parr,I joined the brigade in Jan 1972 and was first posted to Sheldon then because it was so quite there the s.o.reconed it wasn't a place for a new recruite. So he rang les and had me transferred to aston---what a change--didnt know weather I was rather or mather--and the joking and [censored] was comforting ----what a life.--a also Dave mewis a and terry laser(red watch).

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
I remember Les Lippit,he was a watchroom attendent at Moseley Road when I first met him .

Tillingham Tim

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »
As my Dad, Fred Eborn was only in for the duration,demobed asap early 1946? I know nothing about those mentioned and my brother -in -law Terry Day died 1983 and is therefore also unable to help. There are many younger members who will no doubt come to your aid .Cheers Tim

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy