Author Topic: birmingham fire and ambulance service  (Read 25256 times)

malcolm tomlinson

Re: birmingham fire and ambulance service
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
Hi Brumas,

Welcome to the forum.As you trawl through the old posts you will find a lot of memories of Brum as it was.

I remember the pork scratchings.Lovely. :)

Once a brummie always a brummie and always home in your heart. :)
Like Brumas,I started my ambulance service career at Bristol Road and then moved on to Moseley Road Fire Station then on to Highgate when it opened.I retired in May this year.Interested to see that Brumas's site name is the same as the call sign for the ambulance service.

paul burlace

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Hi Gents,just fell onto this topic,whilst browsing.
After leaving the Army(theIst Time)in feb1974,i joined bfas and was stationed in henritta st.
late the following year i rejoined the Army.However I did enjoy most of my short time with the Service,and the compan of the Staff.I was A Shift Tony Bryan Was shift leader,the shift Elder was Don,
there was Alan percival,allan his bro inlaw,"Sailor,tony ex R.Sigs from burntwood,apologies for the ones i cant remember by name.It was the efforts of people like Tony Bryan who gave up their own time and at their own expense paved the way for the "modern" service with Paramedics,by becoming members of ICAP.any way thats enough rambling on for now,regards and best wishes to All Brummies.

Tinabeard

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
I was wondering whether anyone remembered my grandad, Ernie Dove, who worked as an ambulance driver at Henrietta Street in the 1950s.  his ambulance was an austin shearline registration KOX 748.  He had a friend who lived in Summer Lane called Piggy Wall.  I am curious as to whether this ambulance still exists anywhere.  would love to hear from anyone with any information.

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I have not heard your grand dads name mentioned during my time with the service,but I did not join until 1968.There was a long serving ambulanceman at Henriette Street in those days named Tommy Wall but I never heard anyone use the nick name   " piggy". With regard to the sheerline ambulance,there is still one that was based at the "Street" in existance ,it belongs to a man who lives down south and is no longer in Birmingham livery.If you look at the   virtualambulancemuseum.com    you will see on there an Austin welfarer ambulance KOK 88 which was a Birmingham based vehicle and is now in Nottingham Livery your grandad may well have driven that one.There is also a 1959 Austin Princess WWP 38 which is painted in the 1950,s Birmingham colours.This vehicle will shortly be on display at Coventry Transport Museum .Malcolm

maggie

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
Cant give you any bloodthirsty story but I can
tell you I travelled in the last ambulance to have an Midwife on board   June6th 1959 and it snowed.
do unto others as you would be done by

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
Midwives had long since moved away from the stations when I joined,but they still ruled the roost when babies were born at home .

Steve

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »
A chap I knew in Stechford in the 70's had an Ambulance whuch he converted to a caravan. He said it was ex-works but I don't recall the company. It had really low mileage as it was seldom used'
 It was in full working order and only need some repairs to the steering, and the exhaust was rotten, so  being obsolete he modified a Jag exhuast obtained from Taroni's tat yard.
 Looking at the heritage site's gallery I think it may have been a Sheerline. I recall the 9" headlights. It had a knob on the dash labelled"Selectaride" by which the crew could soften the suspension for the badly injured. What got me the most was the four hydraulic jacks, which at the touch of a button all came down simultaneously and lifted the whole thing off the ground.
 An amazing piece of machinery in my eyes.
 He tried out the performance whilst collecting a mate's broken down C15 motorbike. Up the A38 he hit over 90 mph and it was smooth as silk.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
It would have been a sheerline,the hydrolic jacks were also fitted to the princess.There was 1 princess still in service when I joined in 1968 and although I never worked on it I understand that it was a fast motor. There were a number of these ex works ambulances around in the sixties,the one one the heritage site was once the ambulance for Garringtons of Bromsgrove and was a total wreck when we started to restore it into a replice of a 50's Birmingham vehicle.The pale green princess that once belonged to Hardy Spicers is still around and is in pristine condition.There may have been similar vehicles at other works including Kynocks and Dunlop.Malcolm

davered41

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
I remember Les Lippit but I remember his very beautiful daughter even more,her name was Sandra but others will know her better as Maggie Moon and she was a very good singer/entertainer.

Les Lippit wwas the S/O on White watch when I served on the Ambulance RED41 in 1967.He wasnt very keen on me,I wonder why?

davered41

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
Correction to last post it was RED 48 at Station 10 Aston not RED 41 which was at Henrietta Street.

anneyr

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
Hi Brumas
I was interested to read all the articles regarding birmingham fire and ambulance service.  I work for South West Ambulance Service but have a colleague who started in 1963 at Halesowen ambulance station. His colleagues are trying to put together a scrapbook of memorys for him and I am trying to find a photo of the ambulance service badge. 
Has anyone got one they can send me if not any ideas where I can find one.

Anne

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy