Author Topic: birmingham fire and ambulance service  (Read 25258 times)

anneyr

Re: birmingham fire and ambulance service
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
PS
Some of you may know him.  His name is Dennis Oakes.  If you do and you are in contact with him, please don't say anything as it is all a surprise for him.  If you do know him and don't have any contact with him and would like to please let me know and I'll see what I can arrange.
Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Hi Anne.I was interested in your request.I have checked with one of my ex colleagues and his father Maurice Rudge used to work with Dennis at Halesowen Station, his son Barry said that Dennis was like an adopted uncle to him.I hope this information is of use to you.Did you contact the ambulance heritage society regarding this matter,because I am at present researching the badge for Halesowen.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
Hi Malcolm.

Thank you that.  If you would like to tell Barry to tell his father that Dennis is still going strong and this year celebrates 50 years service and shows no signing of retiring. I am hoping to mark this occasion with his colleagues here in South West by putting together some memorobilia of his service history.  Hence the request for a Worcestershire Ambulance Service Badge.  I haven't contacted the ambulance heritage society as I can't find a number or email address to do so.  If you, Barry or Maurice can give me any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Hi again Anne,I am waiting for Barry to contact me.you can access the ambulance heritage society via virtualambulancemuseum.com    we will do all we can to assist you .Malcolm

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Halesowen wore the badge of Worcestshire County Ambulance,there was also a Worcester City Ambulance Service.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »
Hi Malcolm;
I have just looked on the ambulance heritage site and there are alot of badges/crests.  Some of them though don't have any writing on so I don't know which service they are from.  I have emailed them but I'm not sure they have received it or not. 
If Barry's father is not in contact with Dennis and would like to be or if he would like to pass on a message to him; I am sure I can arrange it.
Thank you for your offers of help, any photos of Dennis in those early days would be great and if we can find a badge photo even better.

Anne :)

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
I am a member of both the museum and society,we are scouring our collection to see if we can help.One of my old colleagues was an avid badge collector and I am trying to contact him.I will inform you if I have any luck.Malcolm

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
Its me again,I have just looked at evolution of worcester county bounderies on wikipedia and on the first page is a picture of the county emblem .I hope this will help.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
Hi again;
That is brill.  Do you know if the county emblem was in the ambulance service badge.  If it wasn't or you don't know then I could get a copy printed and just use that in the scrapbook.
Look forward to hearing from you when you have spoken to your colleague and thank you once again.

Anne :)

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
In those days ambulance staff were employed by local authorities and the ambulance service were either managed directly by the council or became a part of the local fire service.In the case of Worcestershire they were a county service and would have worn the county badge .

anneyr

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Hi again;
Thank you for that.  If we can't find a badge then as I said I can print off the photo of the county emblem and use that.
Look forward to hearing from you
Anne

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy