Author Topic: birmingham fire and ambulance service  (Read 25264 times)

planetmalc

Re: birmingham fire and ambulance service
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
In those days ambulance staff were employed by local authorities and the ambulance service were either managed directly by the council or became a part of the local fire service.In the case of Worcestershire they were a county service and would have worn the county badge .

It all seems to have gone a bit down-market, these days: I spotted an Ambulance in the car park of the Robin Hood pub and it was sporting a clearly-illegal personalized number-plate! :o
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
It may be that the vehicle you saw was one that belongs to a private service,there are lots of these companies covering events around the country.

anneyr

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi Malcolm

Looked on the virtual ambulance site and noticed a picture of a land rover used in Worcestershire County Ambulance Service.  Is this one that would have been around in 1963 when Dennis would have started his career ???

Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »
That land rover is a 1972 model  so I am not sure whether he would have still been in the service at that time.He may well have remembered the blue Herefordshire Bedford which is a 1968 vintage and would have been around his area at the time.I am pleased you like the virtual museum,we are hoping to have suitable premises in the near future so that these vehicles and memorabilia can be seen properly.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
Hi again
Thank you for that.  In 1974 he was back in the West Mids then as I managed through a few white lies get him to show me his cap badges.  He has a West Midlands Metropolitan Ambulance Service Cap badge and when I asked him what year that was from he said 1974.
I am hoping to have a cake made in the shape (3D) of a vintage ambulance that he may have driven.  We have a photo of a 1960's Bedford ambulance a bit like they used in "The Royal" the tv programme and will use that if I cant find anything else.
As I have said when you speak to Barrie (your colleague) if his father would like to make contact with Dennis or send a message for his 50 years celebration I am more than happy to pass it on to Dennis or pass Dennis' details on to his father.
Anne :)

anneyr

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »
PS  Best of luck with finding your premises.  I would love to hear when you have it up and running as we would love to visit it and I am sure Dennis would as well.

Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
Oxford Diecast have produced models of J1 bedfords you can get them off ebay or go to their web site.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 07:24:32 AM »
Thanks Malcolm for that. Would the ambulance Dennis drove been cream or blue?  I have found both and would like to get it right.
Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Most of the vehicles were cream or white ,I do not remember any blue ones in our area other than Hereford I would think that the stripe along the side would be blue .I will look through my books and see if I can find out for sure.Malcolm

anneyr

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
Thank you for that.  Shall look forward to hearing from you.  I presume if the stripe down the side was blue and the vehicle cream would it have had written on the side "Worcester County Ambulance Service"?

Anne

malcolm tomlinson

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
I have just got confirmation of the colour scheme .Top half of the body was cream and the bottom half was navy blue.The lettering was in gold on the navy blue.Maurice has requested some information about your plans [time place etc ] and I think he may want to attend.As this is an open forum could you send contact details either by personal message or through the virtual ambulance museum so that I can pass them on.Malcolm[/time]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy