Author Topic: midland red bus  (Read 35239 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: midland red bus
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
 in the grate days of midland red im told they built all there own buses but im sure that iv seen midland red made by layland i think it was the leopard im also told that midlandred had four regions midred north south east west the last time i seen one was midred north going back some time and that was in tel ford and then they was deregulated and then each region got sold off hence the down fall of the midland red one of the big companys that took over some of midland red was called first bus they also run trains
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
i was a regular user in the late 50s and 60s my parent had a caravan at Stourport-on-seven and we would get the 133 from Navigation St which went through Kidderminster and onto Stourport which was the terminus.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
When I first moved to Solihull and if for any reason I had to use a bus to get backwards and forward to home such as a car breakdown it was the Midland Red I had to use.

Back then Birmingham Buses went no further than Lincoln Rd, Acocks Green. The Midland Red Bus's weren't very frequent. I can remember one particular night that my car broke down ( I wasn't a member of any breakdown organisation then) I spent a very long hour waiting for a Midland Red bus at the corner of Palmerston Rd and Stratford Rd. It was a freezing cold night and of course being in my car I had no topcoat.

The next day I joined the RAC.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »
Fond memories of the old Midland Red.We used to get on the bus to our Gran`s.The Destination blind contained the words "Worlds End".It was in Smethwick,now Warley,and near to the Wolverhampton Road.The conductors had the tickets on a board,and a trigger thing to punch them with.We used to catch the 210 bus to school,and now and again,the driver took a wrong turn.The posher kids used to cry "You`re going the wrong way!",well try to but they were jumped on by a mountain of boys to stifle their cry.Oh happy days,in the 50`s that was.Take me back..... :)

vin t

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
The Midland Red bus trip on 22nd October is being run by Ashley Wakelin of Muidland Red Coaches. He is nothing to do with Coventry Transport Museum.
Ashley, who is ex Midland Red, runs a small fleet of ex Midland Red buses, D9, S23 and a 1929 Charabanc which operated many years ago in the Ironbridge Gorge. You may have seen the chara on Midlands today on September 1st 2009.
For those interested his website is wheels.co.uk
He also has a selection of vintage coaches which run in Midland Red Coaches livery.
The trip is return, prices are Coventry/Birmingham £10, Birmingham/Great Malvern £18 and Coventry/Great Malvern £25.
I don't work for Ashley but am Press Officer/webmaster of Northern Warwickshire Tourism Association of which Ashley is a member. www.visitnorthernwarwickshire.com
Out of interest my Gt.gt.gt. Grandfather, Benjamin Giles was the Night Soil Superintendant for Birmingham City Council back in c1870/80. Now theres a thought for a topic, Night Soil.
Regards
Vin t

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »
Hi Vin t

Thanks for the update, and further information on the Midland Red trip.

Not a very nice job Night Soil Man, I suppose being being superintendent meant your Gt,gt,gt Granddad didn't have to get his hands dirty literally. Not that I blame him. I have had to do some pretty bad jobs in my lifetime but I would have drawn a line at that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:11:29 PM »
A total of 76 type S23 vehicles were built at Central Works, Carlyle Road, and entered service between December 1968 and June 1970, all were designed from new as service buses for use with one-man operation.  They were fitted with 51 bus seats of rexine covered type with top grab rails, and top sliding ventilators as standard on service buses.  Fleet numbers 5916–5923 were originally fitted with BMMO S17 style seats and converted to standard from March 1971—it is not known whether these were rexine or moquette covered.

Fleet numbers 5942–5991 were finished (paneled and fitted out) by Plaxton then returned to Carlyle Road for painting and pre-delivery inspection.  Plaxton finished examples had much longer interior roof panels than Carlyle finished ones, but were otherwise identical.

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 10:51:22 PM »
Hi Vauxonion,

This is the Ian Allen ABC reference book you referred to.  This is a 1998 reprint of the 1948 edition.

Brian

vauxonion

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
Thanks Briain youv,e restored my faith in the old brain cells nobody took it up i thought i might have been imagine it.Dek

9teen48

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
You're welcome Dek.  It's not Midland Red but you might also remember this one on the Birmingham buses.

Brian

vauxonion

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
Brian i don,t remember the B,ham buses one but at that time i lived in sutton with my aunt (for various reasons) so never saw a B,ham bus till i moved back 6 years later. Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy