Author Topic: midland red bus  (Read 35237 times)

sheldonboy

Re: midland red bus
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »
Blimey I actually think I owned the Birmingham Buses book. I'm guessing it was from around 1963/4.  SB
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

maypolemadman

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
Hi All  I lived for quite a time near Carlye rd and I know the Midlan Reds buses were parked down thw end and the site would have overlooked Edgbaston Resevoir. 
I never knwe they buil buses there and I have found the contents of this forum on this subject to be very intresting.
 I saw the reference to Carlyle being given in one post as"Turn right off Hagfley Rd near the Plough and Harrow pub"  to be a bit more specific  if you did the right hand turn in Pand H rd  and continued up to Monument Rd  you would have crossed over Monument Rd and up Waterworks Rd.at the very end the main gate  ,the only gate . was right there in front of you. . I have this idea in my head tha Waterwrks Rd ended at the Waterworks fron gate and the contnuation was Carlye rd. and it turned sharp left at the end and was still Carlyle Rd 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
hi maypole
                  its easy to get confused when you do not know all the facts   I.E

a driver at midland red was told to take a bus up to Carlye works being a new driver from digbeth but before that he was a coach driver so he filled up and off he went four hours later the manager rang up Carlye works to see where the driver was  no driver well you can guess the rest   he had gone to Carlye

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

vin t

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
Hello everyone,
I tried to send this post yesterday but messed it up with oversized images, so if it arrives twice, apologies.
The Midland Red D9 trip on Sunday 18th October went to plan. The 1966 Birmingham built double decker bus ran to a 1969 timetable, only slipping slightly due to photo opportunities.
After leaving Coventry, Pool Meadow at 9.00am we were greeted by photographer Emma from the Birmingham Mail in Stevenson Place (picture and article were in Post on 19th). We were joined there by Birmingham bus enthusiasts for the trip to Malvern.
As we ran along the A38 people were trying to flag the bus down thinking it was a service bus, it looked totally at home on the route, even though it was 30 years since the bus was in service.
The bus was met at Bromsgrove Bus Station by dozens of people taking photographs, this was because of a piece in the Bromsgrove Standard. Several people couldn’t resist joining us for the rest of the day.
A stop at Worcester Bus Station attracted a lot of interest from current bus drivers and inspectors.
After turning the bus in the old turning area at Malvern Wells we had an interesting couple of hours in Great Malvern, quite a few people, including old Midland Red staff, stopping to talk, all with interesting stories of Midland Red.
It was quite a day, the bus covering over 150 miles, arriving back at Stevenson Place at 6.00pm, not bad for a vehicle 43 years old.
The day proved the fondness for a firm that everyone loved and appreciated.
I have attached three images, Coventry, Bromsgrove and Malvern Wells.

Vin T

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »
Hi vin't

Glad to hear the day was such a success, The old workhorse did well then, but then thats what they were built for wasn't it. The next time you want to post photos and you have to resize them try this service you will get much bigger photos for your 180kb upload allowance

http://www.webresizer.com/

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vin t

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »
Thanks Phil,
The way the bus performed was unbelievable, I wondered if the run up from Malvern Link would prove difficult, but up we went without a problem.
Without going on too much it was the reaction of people who saw the bus that made the day. One couple who saw it in Great Malvern came back to Worcester with us, complete with baby and wheelchair, then planning to catch the train back to Malvern.
The next big outing for the D9 is in Leicester on Sunday November 22nd. There should be four D9s to celebrate (?) thirty years since they were removed from service in the town. If of interest to anyone I can post more details closer to the day.
Vin T

johnbird

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
I lived in Faraday Avenue and caught the red to Thimble Mill baths!
I missed out on the trip on Ashley's D9, Family visit....They never showed so I was gutted!
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »
hi jonh b
                welcome to our forum grab a seat and a coffee and join us if you have a look around you will find we are easy going  so come on down and enjoy  roy

johnbird

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Thanks Roy
I should be working at the mo, but have spent 2 hours looking through the forum!
Have any of you Midland Red fans seen any of the DAVideo productions?
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
hi john iv not sorry to say but i think Phil or some of the others might i used to know a chap that had something to do with midland red he was at wythall  i think he had is own bus but not sure about that this is going back 15 years i know he lived in redditch some where but he told me loads of things about the red

vin t

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Hello Roy,
The DAVideos are very good. I believe he is working on another Midland Red DVD which should be available in the near future.
Regards
Vin T

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy