Author Topic: midland red bus  (Read 35242 times)

johnbird

Re: midland red bus
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »
I think the D9 50th Video should be out at Christmas and the C5 (Motorway Coach) Video sometime after that.
The Best to date is the "AT Your Service" Vol 1  Showing the Midlands of the 1950s.
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

9teen48

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »
Blimey I actually think I owned the Birmingham Buses book. I'm guessing it was from around 1963/4.  SB
Hi SB - the BCT Bus Ref is dated May 1962, but I'm sure they published frequent updates in the 1960s.
Brian

9teen48

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »
Vin T,

Great to see your D9 pictured at the Malvern Wells terminus.  Here is a shot at the same location in 1968.

Brian

vin t

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
Hello Brian,
Nice picture, thanks for putting it on.
It's not my D9 (I wish it was) it's part of Ashley Wakelin's small fleet of buses and coaches.
I had never seen a bus turned at Malvern Wells before but Ashley and his conductor Chad Brown did it without any problem at all, Chad using his Midland Red whistle to control the operation.
For interest I have attached a photo of Kay Alexander off the tele, with Ashley's 1929 Midland Red charabanc outside Bedworth Almshouses. Nice lady, nice bus.

johnbird

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »
Hello Brian,
Nice picture, thanks for putting it on.
It's not my D9 (I wish it was) it's part of Ashley Wakelin's small fleet of buses and coaches.
I had never seen a bus turned at Malvern Wells before but Ashley and his conductor Chad Brown did it without any problem at all, Chad using his Midland Red whistle to control the operation.
For interest I have attached a photo of Kay Alexander off the tele, with Ashley's 1929 Midland Red charabanc outside Bedworth Almshouses. Nice lady, nice bus.
I thought that the Chara was a reproduction?

vin t

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
The body dates from 1929 - it was  refurbished and fitted onto a slightly more modern chassis back in the 1970's. This makes it possible for it to be operational in modern traffic conditions.
I believe it ran in the Ironbridge Gorge at one time.

johnbird

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
Thanks for that Vince, I had been misinformed.

vin t

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »
It spends a lot of time on the road earning its keep and attracts a lot of interest.
For the D9 fans, there will be four of them running around Leicester on Sunday 22nd November. I believe that they will be Ashley's, Roger Burdett's, Withall and the Black Country Museum.
One will start in Coventry picking up at Bedworth, Nuneaton and Hinckley, don't know if any of the others are picking up at all.
Vince

johnbird

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
Hi Vince
I will be there on the day, The D9 poster should do well...I hope!
http://rdhtsg.webs.com/newd9poster.htm
see you then.
John

vin t

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
Thanks John,
Should be an interesting day out in Leicester especially with Santa arriving at Debenhams by D9.
Speaking of David Hale (means nothing till you look at the link above) I have just discovered a couple of unflattering pictures of me talking to him at Wythall standing by Ashley's D9. I suprised the authorities allow such pictures.
Vince

johnbird

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
You should see some of the one's of me....No maybe not!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy