Author Topic: midland red bus  (Read 35295 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
midland red bus
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
 when i was a kid we used to think that the midland red bus was for the posh folk ladies with there fur coats and hats with the fox round there necks

but what i can make out is midland red use to build its own buses if you was going any where for a day out it was the midland red you could go any where in the midland and i was told that Carlyle works was the place they built the buses and I'm told that was in lady wood some where they not only built the buses but they had a team of designers and they went on to build there own coaches and it seems that most towns round the midlands had its own midland red bus station  it had more buses than b.c t and a bigger work force but the day come when  bus services become deregulated and any one could start a bus service this was the death Nell for the midland red it was broke up and sold off and company's like first bus took over the trains buses and sold off things that did not make money and now its just a small company that operates round Worcester the days of midland red are long gone
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

Re: midland red bus
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
The corporate name of Midland Red was Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company (BMMO). It was a fine company that did design and build the great majority of its vehicles - it also bought a few Guy d/deckers after the war and a couple of Daimler coaches. 

It was easy to get a trip around, more a well conducted tour of its works which were in Ladywood, turn right off Hagley Rd near the Plough & Harrow. BMMO also produced free up-to-date fleet books - no photos but much better than Ian Allen (ABC).  They had clean efficient buses that ran on time and were the only transport for many towns and most villages.  Their loss must still be felt by many of these communities. 

tramp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:21 AM »
The Midland Red Birmingham - Worcester route No. was 144 - I wonder if it still exists.

sheldonboy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:22:13 AM »
Sorry Tramp but Midland Red no longer exists In Brum as far as I know..
 The main bus company in the Midlands, and a lot of other parts of the country are now run by Nation Express. This firm is massive, I understand they have Bus routes in Australia, Europe and god knows where else.
 They were until recently known as Travel West Midlands around here.
They also run the Coach Network around the country.I don't reckon much to the management, I have complained to them before now and have actually been told that they are not a Bus Service They are a Bus Company there to make a profit.
 You will find their website easy enough.
Digbeth Coach station is by the way undergoing a major Facelift/Rebuild
I don' know Worcester very well so don't know of any Mid Red services around there.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
hi tramp
                the 144 still runs from brum to worcester via bromsgrove its run by a firm called first bus that took over midlandred some time back

tramp

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
Thanks sheldonboy and Roy - I'd love to take a 144 for old times sake...and pop into Evesham again - it's been over 50 years - I hope the church is still there - fond memories.

vin t

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »
Fans of Midland Red maybe interested to learn that on Sunday 18th October 2009 a 1966 Midland Red D9 double decker will run on the 144 route from Birmingham to Great Malvern via Bromsgrove and Worcester. It will start at Coventry as a 159, run to Birmingham and change to the 144.
Driver and conductor will be wearing authentic Midland Red uniforms.
Details from Ashley Wakelin of Midlands Red Coaches 024 7663 3624
Vin t

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
Hi Vin t

Welcome to our forum, it looks interesting trip. I take it they will be doing the return journey as well. Whats your connection to the Midland Red or are you just interested in vintage vehicles. I don't suppose that we can expect vintage fares. I take it this will be a vehicle from Coventry's Vintage Vehicle Museum. Another place I have yet to get to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
hi vint and welcome to the forum

im told that the D9 was built at the carlyle works
 and it was one of the first double Decker's that midland red built for use on the brum to bridgnorth run

vauxonion

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
Heres a little bit of imfo thats just come to mind back in the 40s-50s you could get books with all the reg. numbers in and you could spot midland red buses like you could trains do you remember them Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
Dek

I couldn't stand train spotting, I think the total time spent at that in my life was about half a day. So bus spotting would have been even less of an attraction. I didn't mind those little eye spy books you could get for when you was going on a journey. I can remember fighting for the window seat on the coach so I could do my spotting.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy