Author Topic: Lost shops of Brum  (Read 50789 times)

sheldonboy

Lost shops of Brum
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
Following the pub closure nightmare,
 I got to thinking about one or two shops I used. There was The Birmingham Educational which I think was at the lower end of Corporation St, until it was moved up to the top end, opposite Lewis.s ( which deserves a Blog all of it's own).
 Then there was Henry's which I think was where W H Smith is in Union St. Henry's had a good cheap Cafe if I remember right.
There was of course the Behive in Dale End, and I will be amazed if you can' pull a picture of that Phil.
Not forgetting Grey's Bull St. (my brother in laws sister was a fashion buyer there) that was later Debenhams, and even later Hamleys toy shop for a while.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

tramp

Re: Lost shops of Brum
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:52:11 PM »
The Fifty Shilling Tailor,
Peter Black, Tailor, Ladypool Rd,
Maturi's Hardware,        ''       ''
Meeson's Sweets          ''       ''
Home & Colonial            ''       ''  and many other branches
Foster Brothers,           ''       ''  and many other branches
Tintern House              ''       ''

and a LOT more!!

sheldonboy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:46:53 AM »
Hi Tramp
 You mention The Fifty Bob Tailor, bit of an eye opener when you realise it costs about a tenner now just to get jeans turned up.
also I though of The Co-Op in the High Street and many many other branches
                          C&A Corporation Street,  did you know that was a Dutch company
                          Harry Parks sports shop, top end of Corporation Street
                          Dixons
                          William Powell Gunmakers  Carrs Lane
                          Sherwoods Camera shop,  Great Western Arcade

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
sheldonboy

Just a couple of shops fro those mentioned, Lets start with The Beehive Albert St, a real old fashioned department store. I think they modelled "are you being served on it".

Then Lewis's.  the thing I remember about Lewis's is that the shop girls were either too posh or too scared to chat to us lads resulting in a very poor success rate in dating from that store. (There was always one or two)

Last for this batch is C & A Corporation, I thought you might prefer this older version though I have a later one.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
 hi all
             lost shops in and around brum my shop that i went to because they had most of the things that  needed was a shop called moss zissmans on the corner of stony lane and stratford road they had good stuff but most of all it was cheap

ice blue jeans 30 bob a well fitting jacket £3 and so on once a month i would go and buy something that i needed so it meant i always had new stuff  on the cheap
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:44:42 AM »
Hi Roy

I also shopped at Zissmans but it was a little further up the Stratford Rd opposite the Piccadilly when I used it. I think he might have got moved when they altered the Stoney Lane corner to accommodate the traffic. I also used his shop in Dale End as well. Wasn't he a Birmingham City Councillor for a while?

Heres a photo of some other now gone shops in the city. They might still be in business but these shops are lost forever.

Chetwins on the corner of John Bright St, good gear and a good club (so I'm told) above The Whiskey A Go Go.

The Fifty Shilling Tailor which has been mentioned.

Lou Bloom's Menswear Worcester St.

M & S High St.

Zissmans Dale End.

Loads more to follow if you want them.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
hi phil yes mate keep them coming nice to be reminded of the past. chetwyns had a nice over coat in the window and i used to get off the bus across the road and stand and look at this over coat but it was out of my price rang i think it was£8 or 9 quid then on the saturday i was looking in the window and the sales man was in the door way having a fag he said come in and try it on well it fit so well i new i had got to have it he then said you can pay so much a week or so much a month until its paid for each week i went in and paid ten bob or 15 bob until there was just a pound to pay then on the Friday night i ran from work to get there before it shut pound in hand the coat was mine he put it in a bag and i took it home Even on the bus i kept having at look at it could not wait to go out in it

sueb

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
Roy, that's a lovely story about the overcoat.  Doesn't it make things more special when you have to save up for them - something younger people nowadays don't seem to realise.

I know I haven't lived here as long as most of you but I remember a lot of those shops.  C & A was one of my favourites and when I lived in Warwick my friends and me would come to Brum just to go there!  I remember Grays, the Co-op (we got our 1st son's cot from there, the only new thing we had for him!), Lewis's, Dixons, etc.  What strikes me about some of those old photos is how busy town looked - just like today.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
I know these following images will not mean a lot to most members, but I think Fred, tramp, and bookworm will recognise them.

The Warwickshire(?) Laundry Ladypool Rd, Woolworths Ladypool Rd, Tony's Gents Outfitter Ladypool Rd, A few shops on  Ombersley Rd, and a once grocers shop on the corner of Turner St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
hi sueb
              just a footnote to the post i made my girl friend(now my wife) loved that overcoat when i took her home after we had been to the flicks in brum and we stood at the bus stop i used to unbutton the overcoat and she would sort of get in side and it would keep us both worm till the bus come how daft can you get lololo

Winkle pickers shoes i used to get mine from freeman /h/w they had shops all over the place
 my trousers from foster bro  cavalry twill black was the order of the day
 and a white shirt and black tie that was my going out dress

sheldonboy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
Well done you lot
My wife and I are impressed with what you have come up with so far. I remember a tiny Thorntons Chocolate cabin in Union Street just opposite where W H Smith is now, but very close by was a small photographic studio where I went with my mate just to get his passport photo.
There was also in Marteau Way a Gratispool shop.
 Following the comments about Lewis's, how many kids qued for hours up endless flights of stairs to see Father Christmas and Uncle Holly.
Lewis's toy floor was always worth a visit, one of the best toyshops in town they always had tons of things that we couldn't afford.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy