Author Topic: Lost shops of Brum  (Read 50787 times)

berniew

Re: Lost shops of Brum
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
Hi all do you remember the kids hairdressers in Lewis's and the chairs in the shape of various animals   Bernie

sheldonboy

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
Thanks Berniew
 My wife remembersThe kids hairdressers in Lewis's, I onlyremember me mums basin ?
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

berniew

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
There was a cafe on Bordeseley Green opposite JJ Galachers place about 5 years ago ,it was run by two lesbians ,and called The Good Muffin closed now   Bernie

berniew

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
Me to Sheldonboy I would have felt a right plonker sitting on a lion having my hair cut ,it's just amemory of Lewis's  Bernie

sheldonboy

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
Great thanks Bernie

tramp

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »
Phil,

Very, very fine photos of the old city centre shops, excellent everyone.   Those of Ladypool and Ombersley Roads,  after my time ae the Newsagent at the bottom of Ombersley was Jack Snape and he lent me books - he had a big old (pre-war) set of Dickens.give away on Ladypool Road is the modern Anglia!

Thanks once again mate,

tramp

tramp

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
sheldonboy,

Today I saw a sign, 3 pairs of Jeans for $1,000 (that's pesos) - it means 3 for less than 20 quid - and they'll turn 'em up on the spot for a pound a pair - the level of service may extend higher up the leg ''if the price is right''.  And these are ''good'' jeans too.  I've only ever worn jeans once, not comfortable, no textile ''give'' and as for the colour, .......nuf sed......I wear 100% cotton trousers every day, lighter, more colours, smoother cloth etc. ..and here I've never paid more than a fiver for them.  Same with cotton shirts.

tramp

berniew

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
Dind't know Primark had reached the C arabian Tramp

tramp

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 12:35:04 AM »
bernie,

Who or what is Primark , a brand a shop or a chain of them?   

I saw the jeans (from the vehicle) outside an independent trader, and I shop almost exclusively at a single unit department store in walking distance, 2.5 km from home, so I can get there and back on foot early before the sun is high.   
Having said that, I haven't bought any clothes for 3 years....when I find things I like, I buy a few to keep me going.  Yet I still go there every couple or 3 months, just in case.   As I've never been a branded slave, neither am I to fashion, and since teenage years have always bought narrow trousers.  So when they fell out of fashion, and many are made here, there were some real bargains at ''my store'' and I bought over half a dozen in various shades and colours - then went back for more!

I am pleased to say that I never wear brand names, as I'm not an unpaid advert who pays extra to be one. 

I was in the rag trade for years starting with M&S (more regimented than the army) before going to Africa, and have bought commercially from FE as well as elsewhere.

sheldonboy

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 04:42:09 AM »
Tramp
 After hearing of youyr lifestyle, and the cost of living that you have to suffer. I reckon I will be will you by about the second Sunday in June. Please have spare room ready.

sueb

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »
Tramp, Primark is a VERY cheap clothing shop which has quite a few branches all over the country.  The one in town is in New Street, almost opposite the Odeon.  It's OK, but like most things, you get what you pay for.  It's also a nightmare to go in there because it's so crowded and is really like a massive jumble sale. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy