Author Topic: Lost shops of Brum  (Read 50788 times)

berniew

Re: Lost shops of Brum
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
Just as Sueb said tramp but even they may not compete with your prices you lucky lad   Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
It wasn't only Lewis's that had a childrens hairdressing department. The Co op on the High St also had a department that was much the same. Not that I ever got to sample either. I think I must have been 11 or 12 before my first shop haircut.

I remember coming away thinking, "I'm not going back there again" Those hand clippers were terrifying, I think they pulled more hair out than they cut.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
Ifind it hard to believe that boys went willingly to those places but I suppose if mom said then you would have to  Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
My wife came home from a shopping trip in Birmingham a few years back before the advent of the new Bull Ring. She told me she had bought me a new shirt and she handed it to me to take a look.

She said she had bought it at Primark and it had cost a price that was about one tenth of what I would normally pay for a shirt. She handed it to me to take a look and I have to admit that it looked pretty smart so I tried it on and it fitted and looked well.

So I said wash it and put it in my wardrobe as I always insist on new shirts being washed before I wear them. So she washed, ironed and hung it in the wardrobe. A few weeks later we were going out, so I thought I'll wear that new shirt. A first I thought someone was having a joke because it wouldn't fit. I couldn't button it up around the neck & chest.

It had shrunk that much, I doubt it would have fitted my 14 year old grandson not that he would have worn it.

Needless to say I told my wife never to buy anything for me from there again. As Sueb says you get what you pay for.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
yes phil you get what you pay for but some time you don!t get what you pay for you can pay a lot for cr..... its knowing whats good and whats not good for the price they ask
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
 there used to be a barbers shop on the Moseley road by the fire station when i was a kid he had a board that he put on the seat for me to sit on you never had a say it was what your mom or dad said and that's what you got
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
Roy

That was a long time ago before they got the pump action chairs, 1/- for a short back & sides. They still have to use the board for me now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
There was a barber on Bordeseley Green named Bob Marsden and after he had cut your hair he used to singe it with a taper  very strange     Bernie

tramp

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
sheldonboy,

I don't know if you are retired but this is a fine place to live and Latin American survival Spanish is quicker and easier to learn than European Spanish - both grammar & pronunciation, and at the checkout you only need a big smile and ''muchas gracias'' / thank you.    We teach spanish - inc to embassiesYou can get a very good 3 bed flat with 24 hr security for GBP100k - monthly maintenance is about 45 quid,, inclusing water and security lighting - you'd get 2 parking spaces and new cars are a bit cheaper than UK.  Getting residence is easy, I did it without a lawyer.

If you want more info - just say...

tramp

tramp

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
berniew,

The a barber on Ladypool Rd who did that too, but he always asked if you'd like a singe.

tramp

sueb

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
Why did they singe your hair and what's a taper?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy