Author Topic: Munns Brothers, Camden Street, Hockley 1965/67 ish  (Read 11298 times)

Lock

Re: Munns Brothers, Camden Street, Hockley 1965/67 ish
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
Hi Roy
           Were you the engineer who worked with Malcolm?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 07:50:15 PM »
Hi Roy
           Were you the engineer who worked with Malcolm?

hi no sorry all iv done is add a bit of colour to the black and white photo
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

apy2

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
Wow i cant believe there are members her that would have been at Munns the same time as myself 1966 to 1968 . Was my first job after leaving Silvermere school in Sheldon . I remember so many people and things from my time there , all fondly remembered . The old man that owned it with his big car , his sons Laurence in colour and Graham in B&W and Mr and Mrs George that dealt with cutting and packing the prints , Bob Jones , manager in the B&W printing room who used to pick me up on the Coventry road each morning in a company van ( Green Hilman Imps at the time ) then we would stop off at the cafe down the road for coffee and a sausage bun dripping in cooling oil , lovely .

I left Munns to join the RAF  , came out in 73 and spent most of my working life buying shops that were struggling then building them up and selling on a couple of years later , been living in Spain [/size]since i retired 18 years ago . Would mean so much to me to communicate with anyone that remembers me , my name is Dave Stead , was thin and about 5ft 2in and blond at the time , cheeky little sod , often called Little Dave but its a common name given to small guys called Dave and reading through the previous posts i noticed mention of someone with that name , not sure if its me or someone that worked there later .There was an Asian lady on packaging the B&W prints , remember she had 2 thumbs on one hand , also working alongside her were 2 sisters , one was the spitting image of Twiggy , she entered a look alike competition by sending photos , unfortunately i dont think she won .

For a while i would go out with the new drivers to show them the routes for collecting negs and delivering the prints then i spent some time on cutting before moving onto a printer and finally was doing all the enlargements until i left .

Lock

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »
Are you the same Little Dave who hung around with somebody called Graham. And Glasses who worked in dispatch?

apy2

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 08:16:22 PM »
Are you the same Little Dave who hung around with somebody called Graham. And Glasses who worked in dispatch?

Yes , that was me , Graham Hollyoaks was his name , he had curly black hair , i had long blond haor at the time . I traced Graham and we met up about 30 years ago , he had the hots for my girlfriend when we all worked at Munns , Valerie Parker who also worked there , she and i always left work together and walk to Bull ring to catch the bus home from the bus stop under the multi story carpark .

Reading your previous post you mentioned Coleen , if shes who i think she was then she was a lovely quiet girl .

Also just noticed you knew Candy and Melody , in sure they were the sisters i mentioned earlier .

You obviously know me , would i remember you , i hope i would .

I have Facebook now if you would like to look me up or even add me if you wish , would be so nice to catch up .

Lock

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 10:44:25 PM »
Hi
    I worked in Black and white on the hand enlargers. Terry Holland was in charge. My name is Mark Haynes and you came to my house where I lived with my parents in Four Oaks Sutton Coldfield.
     I remember the Greasy Cafe and also the Pub where we went after work on a Saturday lunch playing Slade on the Juke Box.
      Nice that someone has finally appeared on this post.

apy2

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 09:03:02 AM »

Hi Mark , i have only been to Four Oaks Sutton Colefield once and for some reason i always associate it with Mr and Mrs George although wouldn't have been with them , possibly you told me at the time they lived there also .[/size]

I remember the Pub well , was too young to drink but enjoyed the time spend there , Bob Jones the B&W manager used to enjoy a drink before setting off home to Coventry and dropping me off on the way , you might remember him because he always wore a Bow Tie .

Remember another guy called Dave i think , he was on the printers , much taller than me , very intelligent guy , possibly grad student who also applied for a commission in the RAF .

As i remember the B&W section you would walk in and the developing tanks and Drums were on the left , to the right were the printers and beyond at the top were the Hand Enlargers where i finally worked up until i left early 68 . Not sure if there was anyone else working on Enlargements other then me , quite possibly there was . The thing that springs to mind at the time i was doing Enlargements was a new machine they brought in , it  wasn't very big and sat on the bench , it had to be used with its own special printing paper . Initially i was developing the prints the traditional way in dishes but with this machine you only had to do the exposure then insert it into the machine , it then went through internal roller and appeared out the other side quite quickly developed and almost dry . I was impressed with its simplicity but not so much with the quality of the prints .

I remember the Pub well , was too young to drink but enjoyed the time spend there , Bob Jones the B&W manager used to enjoy a drink before setting off home to Coventry and dropping me off on the way , you might remember him because he always wore a Bow Tie .

Remember another guy called Dave i think , he was on the printers , much taller than me , very intelligent guy , possibly grad student who also applied for a commission in the RAF .

As i remember the B&W section you would walk in and the developing tanks and Drums were on the left , to the right were the printers and beyond the Hand Enlargers where i finally worked up until i left early 68 . Not sure if there was anyone else working on Enlargements other then me , quite possibly there was . The thing that springs to mind at the time i was doing Enlargements was a new machine they brought in , it  wasn't very big and sat on the bench , it had to be used with its own special printing paper . Initially i was developing prints the traditional way in dishes but with this machine you only had to do the exposure then insert it into the machine , it passed through internal roller and appeared out the other side quite quickly developed and almost dry . I was impressed with its simplicity but not so much with the quality of the prints .

Hope you can make sense of all that .

Lock

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Hi Dave
              The George's lived near Kingstanding as I would pass there road when driving to Munns. When I first started there a guy named Errol trained me on the hand enlargers. In the B&W print room I can remember Pam, Dave who you mentioned Terry Holland and a couple of others whose names I can't think of. Do you recall John Gibson who worked on the glazing drum and his girlfriend worked in the wages department. Her name was Barbara.
               The elastic band fights were great fun. I remember going back home probably on a Saturday and my mom saying I had a visitor which was you. Crazy how you recall these things.

apy2

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »
The elastic band fights were as you say great fun , never forget those . Sounds like you pointed out where the Georges lived or told me what you have just and so i associated them with Four Oaks . Did they go to work on the bus , for some reason i seem to think or know that .

I do remember Barbara in the wages department , think everyone would .

You started before me so possibly by the time I had been through the cutting room and printers and eventually went into the Hand Enlarger part you had already moved to a different section .

Mr Lee i now recall but not well as i remember him being Colour and i never really had reason to go to that department . I do remember the guy on Drums , always polishing them and looking at the print rolls coming off , chatted to him a lot but not his name or face .

There was a girl i remember who was fun and inadvertently got me the sack although only for about 30 seconds , wonder if that was Pam , best way to describe her from memory was that she was small and lively and older than me . She said something to me and i put my finger under the tap at the far end of the grubby washroom on the left before the Printing room I squirted her with water not noticing Mr Laurence walking in , he got wet too and said " your fired " I had been accepted for the RAF so waiting the few weeks until it was time to leave so i just said , "on , no problem " and walked past him to go upstairs , seconds later he said " now stop messing about and get back to work " no idea why the sudden change , think he was hoping for me to plea with him not to sack me , always seemed to me to be that kind of man , nothing like his brother who was far more down to earth .

Dont know why i cant recall going to your place or how i even knew where you lived , didn't know that area at all , never been there before or since .

apy2

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »
Came across this Mark , the name rang a bell " Vanden Plas Princess " , it looks like the car that the old man had , i remember he had a two tone one first then changed to an all black one and Mr Laurence had his old one . Is it the same Make and do i remember everything correct , been so long i forgot so many details about those times although everything i do remember from them are good memories .

Lock

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »
I think your right. I'm sure Graham had a Rover. Whenever there wasn't a lot of work Lawrence and Graham would get the staff to wash and clean there cars usually on a Saturday morning I think. Lawrence's favourite retort was "Say Again" which we all imitated. He was a pain. Graham was OK.
        Do you remember Richard Hankin or Terry Murray from the colour Dept. Trevor Marshall who  worked alongside Lee on chemistry. How about the matriarch Harold the van driver George's favourite.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy