Author Topic: Munns Brothers, Camden Street, Hockley 1965/67 ish  (Read 11301 times)

sheldonboy

Munns Brothers, Camden Street, Hockley 1965/67 ish
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »
Around 1965/7
I used to work at Munns Brothers, also known as Munacolour Laboratories. Munns was situated at 45-55- Camden Street Hockley. It was owned and run by David Willey (chairman) and his two sons Laurence and Graham (joint managing directors). It was a large photo processing house, servicing many Chemists and Photo shops around Birmingham and the midlands, Boots being our largest customer. There were many characters working there , with a large turnover of students in the summer. Any brummagem Forumites lurking around that will admit to serving a sentence there. I remember picking up £4.10.0d (Shillings)  per week. I went on to my next job For £7.10.0d.  God was I rich.  Gestetner Office Machines was situated across the Road.
Bulpitts (Swan Brand) was farther up the road. Round the corner was Albion Street Fire Station, when it was closed down it turned into a garage,
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Ailsa

Re: Munns Brothers, Camden Street, Hockley 1965/67 ish
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »
I worked very briefly at Munns in about 1965, I was upstairs in the Colour Lab and met some very interesting people in my short time there. You are right in saying that there were many characters working away some of whom remained friends for many years. I seem to remember that the chemical loft contained thousands of old glass plate negatives, very probably dumped but possibly of great value now. I moved away from Munns (£5/5/0d a week) and then worked for Birmingham City Transport (£36 a week) spending the rest of my working life "on the buses".

sheldonboy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:34:53 AM »
Ailsa
 Good to hear from you, The people I remember from the colour side of Munns were Mr Graham (director). Mr Lee, a Chinese Guy with his wife Irene. Richard Hankin. Also there were about 12 blokes in the place called Dave.
  Do you remember the wonderful canteen area.
One day the cleaner was caught stirring the tea urn with her mop handle.

Welcome to the forum, nice to talk to you, hope you stay with us.
                                         Sheldonboy

Ailsa

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »
I remember Mr Lee, several years later I came across him running a small photo lab at Kingstanding Circle. Seem to remember there were several girls called Maureen working upstairs. Richard Hankin I remember also Carl Evans and Richard Jones.

Only just found this forum, it is giving me a lot of memories especially as I now live in South West Scotland.

sheldonboy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:55 AM »
Ailsa
glad to add to your memories if I can. The last time I saw Mr Lee was around 1976, I was in the La reserve Restaurant in Sutton Park, he was taking table photo's.

Lock

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Hi.
     I worked at Munns from around 1966 to 1976. Some of the characters I remember and often wonder what happened to them.
      Dave Arrowsmith aka Rash
       Alan Latty
        Glasses
        Maggot
        Litle Dave
        Terry Murray. Terry Holland. Malcom the Absorber.
        Sickie Man aka Alan Davis. Etc.
       We had some great laughs and lousy pay. I also remember everything was Battleship Grey even the toilets.

townie

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Lock when you worked for Munns can you remember a chap from Sheldon?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Lock

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Townie
          No I don't remember anyone from Sheldon. Here are a few more names I have remembered.
   Dave Duck, Joe 90, Chad, John Gibson (Gibbo), Terry Snide, Terry F---wit, Pravin, Dougal, and a few girls, christian names only.
   Avril, Gail, Jaquie, Helen, Brenda, Coleen. Candy, Melody.
           I first worked in Black & White on hand enlarging. Later moved to Colour section in the Finishing area with the Rash (Dave Arrowsmith).
           Good Times.

Lock

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
Just remembered a few more names.
Wally Bennett aka Duster, Dave Ball, Skinlip, Pete the Pansy, Dummy, Mr & Mrs George, Doug Hall, Trevor Marshall.Harold, van driver.
Some crazy characters but great fun.

townie

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »

The reason I asked was that a member on here said he used to work at Munns around the 60s. Unfortunately he no longer posts on here but when you have made 5 posts send me a PM and I will tell you where you can find him.

townie.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Lock

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
Some of these names must jog a few memories with somebody.
Terry Tucker
Phil Cartwright
Patrick Dike
Chris Cheoutkofsky
John Byrne
John Badger
Cheers for now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy