Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184302 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »
sheldonboy

I've looked through the Birmingham History Boards and I can see no dedicated thread for these districts so I've started this one and I'll start the ball rolling with something you asked for.

Here are some photos that are Hardings Bakery related, One is an early one of the frontage, another is a slightly dated delivery vehicle and the last is the rear entrance to the bakery.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Well done Phil, Excellent work. Believe it or not, but I remember the Bakery which I think was then called Milandas, Granby Avenue, Garretts Green, managed to find an old Hardings bread van just like the one in your picture. It was in a sorry state. They then set a bunch of apprentices to work restoring it in the 1970s, I don't know where it is kept but they did a great job it was in the Birmingham Mail.

Thanks again   Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »
SB

Yes I remember the bakery on Granby Avenue, I don't remember the name though. What I do remember about Granby Ave was the HGV Test Centre. A place that struck fear into the heart of every HGV Operator in Birmingham. No 26 Test Station Garrettts Green.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
Phil
I do, when Hardings moved from the Swan, It went to Granby Avenue. Soimetime later it changed to Milanda's   (rubbish name)  They advertised Milanda's for Midlanders. Over the years it has been extended and modernised, and had a few names. Most of the time it has been known as the Mothers Pride Bakery, supplyong Bread and cakes (including Mr Kipling) as far away as Cornwall.

denise

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
Does anybody remember Kunzles.

Lovely cakes :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
Denise

I remember them, but I have never been a cake eater due the fact I suppose that I never had the opportunity to be one. Its something that I still am unable to do today and I never eat cake.

Its the same with puddings, I think school dinners puddings ruined me for life for eating puddings. I just stick to ice cream if we eat out and if they don't do that I either go without or give it to the wife.

Heres a couple of images to make your mouth water.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
My mum worked there for a while.Think most of the local ladies did.I remember her buying the mis shapes in the factory shop.I think that was for staff only.

I love the pics Phil.

Those show boats were bliss ;D

denise

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »
I also remember Remploy.I may be wrong but think it closed down.Not sure.

denise

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »
Years ago granby avenue was built on what was a large field.

When I was young it was still mainly fields :) and it was our playground.We used to make dens and dam the brook.If you walked to the top you had a good view of the planes landing at the then Elmdon Airport.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
Denise

I think Remploy have gone, I know a couple that used to work there in the 80's. They were both disabled as were most that worked there. I think they closed due to lack of Government assistance.

It makes sound economic sense to me to close a factory for the sake of saving on a little subsidy and then to put a number of disabled people out of work with no hope of obtaining other employment. Then to end up paying out probably 10 times the amount of the subsidy to maintain them on Social Security or whatever it is called now.

What school did these ministers go to?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »
Hello Denise and Phil
 You will be pleased to know that the Remploy in Garretts Green Lane Shelon is still open for business and working. Yes it was for Disabled people or who were just not fit enough to work in most other factory environments The name actually means RE-EMPLOY. This factory I have known all my life as I have always lived very close to it.
The site it was built on was indeed a large field which was known locally as the Cornies, many years ago it was indeed Corn fields. There were two massive Bomb holes, which had filled with water and ended up for us as our ponds. The site is now totally built on.
On the Garretts Green side at the front is a large building called HRS House. which used to house HRS Electronics. Previously years befor it was Built as the KUNZLE cake factory. My mother worked there, and there was also a factory shop where you could eat your weight in cakes for about Ten Bob. I well remember City Fingers, Kunzle Cakelets and Showboats. Kunzles also made many cakes for Marks and Spencer. In the middle sixties the company was sold, as I remember to a man called Lambourne for around One million pounds.
My sister Ann went to work at Kunzles when they were situated at Five Ways. It was very useful for her when they moved down to Sheldon. While she worked there mom ( Floss Holyoak) went to work there, I believe until it closed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy