Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184257 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:05 AM »
Alan

The Journeys End in Clay Lane, a good pub that I used occasionally in the past but not any more, not that I use any pubs now. I can't say I remember the chippy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

walt00

« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
Hi Phil
       Cracking Photo of the Journey's End i live at the back of there about 1 minutes walk. but i dont use pubs now, Sadly the Chippy is still there Clay Lane Chip Shop but it is not that good anymore. I have to travel to get decent Fish and Chips to either Lincoln Road North or Lyndon Road Solihull both only 5 mins in car. But worth the travelling.
Wal..
W.H,Prottey

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
Walt

Do you mean the chippy opposite the Lincoln Poacher in Lincoln Rd North? I used to use it sometimes. When we popped in to see Alan Hornsby at the back of there, about hiring a crane or iron fairy at times. I haven't been in there since I retired.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

walt00

« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
Hi Phil
       You are bang on mate. If you are around that way again it is one of the few that does a decent piece of Fresh Roe. I think it's called Fryday's. The best piece of Fish is from the shop in Lyndon Road at the bottom of Barn Lane turn left and it is across the road. Brilliant Fish cooked to perfection. Clay Lane Fish Bar is facing where i live and it was Ok till it changed hands, not good quality.
Wal.
W.H,Prottey

wimbush yardley

« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
Hi all/
       Have been looking at scone cottage and maplehurst church rd. 1891 maplehurst 134 church rd. Walter Coleman aged 53 house agent. 135 church rd John pickering Hardware merchant.
                                                                     Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
Hi Phil/
         Hope you are well,followings my last post can you help? Maplehurst No.135. scone cottage no135 if church road starts at coventry were did the numbering start and finish? as on the1901 maps there does notseem to have thate many houses!!
                                                            Regards Ken.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi Ken

I hope you are keeping well and out of trouble, I'm not too good with old maps Mikejee is the bloke you need on this. I have had a look in my editions of Kelly's Directories and can tell you that in 1901 Church Rd wasn't numbered. However by 1913 it was partially numbered and from Coventry Rd the north side of Church Rd was numbered from 1 to 87.

Then comes the part you are interested in No 87 was Walter Thomas Webb shopkeeper, then un-numbered James H Woodcock Chimney sweep, then the Congregational chapel, then Walter Coleman Maplehurst, then John Edward Mills nurseryman Scone Cottage on the corner of Flavells Lane which is now Hobmoor Rd.

Is this any help Ken?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Hi Phil/
         Many thanks for your help. I am still wondering why on the 1891 census site maplehurst is numbered 134 church rd. and Scone cottage is down as 135 church rd.
Another bit of information I found was that the Shrubbery we have spoken about before is down in 1891
numbered No185 church rd. lived in by Frederick augustas Bird wine merchant.
                                                                     Regards Ken.

mikejee

« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »
wimbush
I am not sure, as I don't have the name and therefore cannot see the census page you are referring to. but I would guess you are taking the number in the first column as the number of the house. It is not . It is the number given to the house in that registration district of the census, and usually has no relationship to the number of the house. You will find that as you go onto another road in that district the number just increases sequentially. If i am wrong I apologise, but it is a mistake often made, particulalry in earlier years when many streets were not normally given numbers, as would appear to be in the year you are interested in

wimbush yardley

« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
mikejee/
           Many thanks for your reply,that makes sense I got the details from the transcript of the warwickshire ancestors project. anyway it gave me the names of people who lived round there at the turn of the century.
                            Many thanks Ken

alanmillard

« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Hi Phil
       Cracking Photo of the Journey's End i live at the back of there about 1 minutes walk. but i dont use pubs now, Sadly the Chippy is still there Clay Lane Chip Shop but it is not that good anymore. I have to travel to get decent Fish and Chips to either Lincoln Road North or Lyndon Road Solihull both only 5 mins in car. But worth the travelling.
Wal..
Hi phil is the Lincoln pub still there i did my courting in that pub and the only place i would drink lager as i did not like it very much and still don't but like you i no longer drink but i will allow myself a a short now and then for medical reasons and actualy it was the doctor who told me to drink it. I now like a drop of the hard stuff. alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy