Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184256 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
Hi cminton

Welcome to the forum, as Ken knows Scone Cottage was on the corner of Flavells Lane now known as Hobmoor Rd. Maplehurst according to this c1905 map was a bit further up what looks to be Church Lane.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
Phil/
      here is picture of maplehurst.
                                                 Ken
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Phil/
     Thinking about the time scale Maplehurst did not last for too long it must have gone within 30 yrs, any idea when the houses in church rd from yew tree to oaklands were built?
                                                                                                   Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

cminton

« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for that map showing Maplehurst. Indeed, it is next door to Scone Cottage! Or was. Seems to have gone since I couldn't see it on google-earth. Walter Coleman lived in Scone Cottage for some years, including 1871 and 81, and seems to have built Maplehurst after 1888, when an old map of the area doesn't show Maplehurst and 1891 when he was living there.  Maybe it was a Nurseryman's cottage some time before 1871?

Ken, do you have a date when it might have gone? You said after 30 years. Thanks for the postcard photo.

Clive

DelArn

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Thanks Ken. Shame there are no pictures of the laundry left as my fathers sight is going fast now and I would have liked him to see it one more time. The last time he remembers seeing it was as a youngster just before the war when his grandmother died, (Jesse who built it and Selina his wife) lived directly opposite for the rest of their lives. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
As far as I can make out from the map, this photo is the site of the old laundry on Church Rd. I don't know if it was demolished and rebuilt, but it looks like an old building that has been modernised to me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
Does anybody remember Kunzles.

Lovely cakes :)
Yes my wife worked there for a short time with her aunti eilene around about 1962 in garretts grean not sure if i have spelled this right. alan

alanmillard

« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
As far as I can make out from the map, this photo is the site of the old laundry on Church Rd. I don't know if it was demolished and rebuilt, but it looks like an old building that has been modernised to me.

Phil
are you sure this was not the top of hobmore rd Yardely.alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
Alan

It is on Church Rd just past where the shops finish and next to Blake Mere Avenue and more or less opposite Croft Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Alan

It is on Church Rd just past where the shops finish and next to Blake Mere Avenue and more or less opposite Croft Rd.

Phil
sorry phil you are quite right i was thinking of the other one top of Hobmore rd and i think for a short time became an ambulance depot. alan by the way did they not clean the hospital sheets as well.

alanmillard

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
The Good Companions built in 1938 demolished in 1993 and replaced by a short lived Harry Ramsden's Why?

Phil
hi phil i used the good companions a number of times but i only used Harry Ramsden's once. but i used to prefer the Gernies End botton of clay lane not to sure if i have spelled that right but there was a cracking fish and chips shop on the corner opposit where you could still sit in and eat you fish or chicken and chips did so many times. alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy