Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184306 times)

teegee

Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
These are the only ones I have aggie.

aggie

« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Cheers Teegee you are a star.  Aggie

RoyMcC

« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
Here's a question which I've just been asked. My old family homestead is on the New Coventry Road, which splits away from the old road just city-side of Lyndon Road and re-joins it at Brays Road. Can anyone say (or guess) why they cut a 'new' road when there was a perfectly good 'old' road that could have been widened?

The houses along the New Coventry Road are 1930s-vintage so I'm guessing the 'new' road was cut through at the same time, or beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »
Hi RoyMcC

The date of c1930 sounds about right for the cutting of New Coventry Rd, I don't know why it was cut as opposed to widening the existing road. Though I assume it was because there were originally houses on the old road that would have had to been purchased and demolished before any road widening could be undertook.

As it was I don't think they lasted that long after they were isolated, but no matter the new road was just cut around the back of the houses and Wagon & Horses which at that time would have been fields.

I should imagine the road needed widening at that point to relieve the growing amount of motor traffic in the 30's which would have been slow moving in the uphill direction.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »
I am looking for a picture of the Mackadown Pub can anyone oblige.  cheers Aggie

If your looking for a photo of any pub Nathan is your man.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

RoyMcC

« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »
Thanks Phil, yes that would seem logical. Still a fair old engineering project though - I'm sure there would have been scope for widening on the far side i.e. opposite the old houses.

The Wagon & Horses - a fine old roadhouse, which of course replaced the original which was tucked in at the Wagon Lane/Barrows Lane crossroads.

planetmalc

« Reply #347 on: April 24, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Possibly a safety feature introduced on one of the hilliest parts of Coventry Road.     The temptation to speed down there would have been irrestible to some (it certainly was to us kids on our push-bikes! ;D ), and with the poor brakes of the day, head-on collisions between overtakers and city-bound traffic would inevitably occur. :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

RoyMcC

« Reply #348 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
True that - great for not only bikes but karts, roller skates and stuff  :o Though honestly I don't think there was a lot of thought given to road safety at that time but it may have been a contributory factor.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »
RoyMcC

A couple of before and after maps for you to study.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #350 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
Excellent, thank you Phil. Where do you source these maps please?

At the foot of this post http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-l/lyndon/ there is also a (larger scale) 1921 OS map of the area.

jamesm

« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
Brilliant posts from Phil and from planetmalc. Great to see the before and after maps and then to recall the first time I went down the hill on a "proper" bike i.e. 26" wheels and 12 gears. I thought I was flying! I couldn't believe how fast my bike could go!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy