Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184276 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #396 on: October 29, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Harris

I have searched all through my collection of photos in search of an image of 1111 Coventry Road and these are the two best images I can come up with. The first on is taken from Kings Rd and the block of houses your cousin lived in would be the second on the right. In the second photo the block is immediately to the right of the photo.

I'm only sorry that neither of the photos is very good, but I will continue to look for better and of I come across anything better I will post it here, so keep an eye in the thread. It doesn't matter how far away you cousin lives, if he owns a computer or some way of accessing the internet then advise him to join the forum he can then check for himself. Computers are a great way of making nostalgic journeys without leaving your own house.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #397 on: October 29, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
When this photo was taken it's says the bus was at the Arden Oak Terminus Sheldon. The photographer was obviously standing on the far side of Hatchford Brook Bridge and the terminus then is just inside Arden Oak Rd.

Spot on, Phil! O0       
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

wgsfgs

« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »
Planetmalc
I contacted David Harvey and he has added the photo to his collection. He believes the photo was taken in 1936. It seems that some shops in Arden Oak road have not been built at the time of the photo which has provided David with additional evidence/confirmation about the timings of the various events around the time that the Arden Oak terminus was set up. It was very interesting talking to David so thank you very much for your suggestion. Cheers Roy O0

planetmalc

« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »
Planetmalc
I contacted David Harvey and he has added the photo to his collection. He believes the photo was taken in 1936. It seems that some shops in Arden Oak road have not been built at the time of the photo which has provided David with additional evidence/confirmation about the timings of the various events around the time that the Arden Oak terminus was set up. It was very interesting talking to David so thank you very much for your suggestion. Cheers Roy O0

Nice one; thank you for providing that bit of Arden Oak history and I look forward to buying the book! O0      Speaking of which, a new Birmingham buses book has recently arrived for the well-heeled (it costs £35 :o ): it's called "Birmingham's Blue and Cream Buses" and the author is the indefatigable Malcolm Keeley.       In stock now at the Ian Allan bookshop.       Stuffed full of real quality photo's, some of which I've never seen before. O0

townie

« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »

£35 that's a bit steep. My friends got a Birmingham bus its kept at Wythall  museum.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

planetmalc

« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
£35 that's a bit steep. My friends got a Birmingham bus its kept at Wythall  museum.

It IS steep, Townie, but the committed bus geek simply must have it! :-[      Like some other publications, this particular one is great on bus close-ups but is somewhat lacking in the street-scene department (so, not one for Phil :-\ ).

Can you remember the number of your friend's bus?

townie

« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

JOJ 548 No9 Quinton. I have a photo of it at Llandudno when I get Tinypics to work I'll post it for you.

planetmalc

« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »
JOJ 548 No9 Quinton. I have a photo of it at Llandudno when I get Tinypics to work I'll post it for you.

Cheers, Townie! O0

townie

« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »

That is my friend its his bus. The place is Llandudno.

wgsfgs

« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
Just a bit more about Tigers island. This extract from the Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832 - 1955 identifies properties between 2579 and 2386 as Tigers Island and Lower Barn Farm.

jamesm

« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
Interesting to see electoral roll entries 347 & 348. I remember Lower Barn Farm but it was always referred to by us kids as "Farmer Bells". With the extension of the runway at Elmdon Airport the Bells moved out and for a short time it was farmed by a family from Mapledene Road in Sheldon (I think their name was Cross but I'm not certain) After they moved out the farmhouse and outbuildings were abandoned and they acted like a magnet for us bored schoolkids and we all kinds of fun in the barns and such until there was tragedy there. A young lad whose name I still remember but will not give here, was killed when a huge wooden beam in the barn collapsed right on top of him. It was a very shocking thing for all who knew him and put paid to our adventures there. Very shortly afterwards the site was demolished and cleared for the runway extension.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy