Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184797 times)

countrylad

Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #429 on: May 07, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
Thanks for the map Phil, Gill, I'm in the right place for the garage, we lived not far from Hazeldene. If you came out of our front door, turned right we were two doors down from Ketton grove. Hazeldene was just a bit further on.

I have worked out the date more accurately when Bill was at the Garage, it could have been 77, as I bought a car in 76 that I sold a year later. Bill did some welding on it and MOT'd it at the time I sold it in 77.

The welfare may have been further up towards the Radleys, it was a long time ago

I went to Alderlea Boys School Shard End, 68 a 71,  I wasn't there half the time...
countrylad

Gill55

« Reply #430 on: May 08, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
That is probably why.  I left Birmingham to work abroad and was away for 15 years after that.  I remember Anita Dutton from Ketton Grove and am still in contact with several people from Hazledene. 

GeoDevon

« Reply #431 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
As far as I can make out from the map, this photo is the site of the old laundry on Church Rd. I don't know if it was demolished and rebuilt, but it looks like an old building that has been modernised to me.

Phil
Just to bring things up to date in 2018:  James Travel is now demolished and replaced with a housing development.  Interestingly the house on the Church Rd side still retains a kink which might be a building line that was retained in the JT building from the Laundry.

Rogjaner

« Reply #432 on: December 17, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »
With regards to the picture of Wacaden depot,it's definitely the one at Woodbridge Road Moseley. I know because I worked there as a lad in the 1950's (before I left school). You drove the horse & cart through the large opening at the front into the yard,at the very back were the stables for the horses. "Happy days"

real-harlequin

« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2022, 07:06:17 PM »
I know it's a long time after original postings, but I was idly browsing and and 'came across' postings re H G Turners.(corn and seed merchants).

I used to work for them about 56 years ago at the Hay Mills branch located at 1118, Coventry road. My aunt, LIly Keenan (later Hodgeson) was the manager of that branch. At that time the group was owned and run by Bob and Jack Turner, the sons of the original owner.

Besides pet product, we sold supplies for less domesticated customers. When they were in town, Billy Smarts circus would park on the rec behind the shop and we would provide them with all their needs.

real-harlequin

« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2022, 08:04:41 PM »
Further to my post about H G Turners, Hay Mills, The shops at the time, as far as I can remember, as you faced the shop front, to thr right was a private house (blockof about 6) and to the left was Moseley's Chemist. Mr Moseley a very friendly guy. The shop was very old fashioned with all the expected paraphernalia on display - stnge shaped bottles full of coloured liquids and hand rollers for making pills, etc. To the far left on the corner was a double fonted open shop, Woottens, which was an army and navy surplus store. ANYTHING left over from WW2 by MOD they had for sale!

Spud

« Reply #435 on: February 28, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »
Did Turners have another place on Stratford Rd Sparkhill?  I have a recollection of a shop almost opposite Formans
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Charlie cheek

« Reply #436 on: February 28, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »
I can remember shops at the Swan Yardley and on the Coventry road Sheldon (Wheat sheaf)

real-harlequin

« Reply #437 on: February 28, 2022, 10:59:15 AM »
I can't remember where all the branches were, but yes there was a branch at 836 Stratford Road - now a UKS chicken place I believe. (I actually lived there for a while). There was also one at the Wheatsheaf, almost opposite the pub  (all been rebuilt, but approximately where energie fitness now is) and in Small Heath can't remember number- operated as HQ at the time. There were others, but can't offhand remember where.

Spud

« Reply #438 on: February 28, 2022, 01:56:37 PM »
836 Stratford Rd yes thats the one Used to get straw from there for my Rabbits.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

real-harlequin

« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2022, 02:53:10 PM »
Yes, everything for pets - food, meds, bedding, kennels etc. Everything for gardens - from seeds to seed potatoes and all the tools, fertilizers etc. A lot of stuff for much bigger animals as well, although that was usually by arrangement. We had huge sheds out the back, but these have now been built over. Very useful shop, pity they've all gone.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy