Author Topic: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember  (Read 184251 times)

denise

Re: The Hay Mills, Sheldon & Yardley That Us Old Uns Remember
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:10:51 PM »
Of course,how could I have forgotten the cornies :) ;D

sheldonboy

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
Denise
Did you live close to the Cornies, you seem to know the area very well, did you maybe goo to school around here.?
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
SB

Did they close Remploy down at sometime, because the two friends I knew who drank in the Meadway wre put out of work at some time.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »
SB

Some more local views, The Good Companions and the one I hadn't got The New Inns.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
A couple more a little further afield, The Jorneys End and The Homoor. SB I heard they had to get you out of the Hobmoor with a crowbar on Sunday Lunchtimes.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
Yes I lived in Admington Road. :)

Lived almost oppasite one of the entrances to the cornies. :)

sheldonboy

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
Fascinating picyures Phil.
In answer to your question, were your friends Disabled or Fit staff. I don't remember it ever closing down but if they were disabled maybe they had to make room for people who were worse off I can't say. There was a bad fire there in the eighties, it had been burning all night and when the door was opened in the morning, the air rushed in and a section of the roof went up like a rocket (a friday I think,) The Fire Brigade was there all day and came from as far away a Coventry. It was rebuilt maybe they had to lay people off at this time.

sheldonboy

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
Denise
 Please excuse the bad memory, you told me about Adminton Road before when I asked if anyone Knew Paul Martin, I do apologise.

denise

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Do you remember the shops in Mickleton Avenue?

The outdor was very nice .Then the grocery shop.The hairdressers.The greengrocers,this was owned and run by a chap called Norman.The newsagent had an elderly couple run it in my time and when I went in the old chap would grab my thumb when I gave him the money.They were all good little shops......they went on for a few years after we left.

When I was last there I was very sad to see they had all been knocked down.
Just flat ground without a single brick to suggest all the life that had gone on there :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
SB

Sorry about the time I have took to reply but I missed your question. Yes the two people I knew that worked at Remploy were disabled they were husband & wife and the wife was in a wheelchair and the husband was on sticks.

As it was around the start of the 80's when I drank in the meadway for a short time as one of our lads lived in Queens rd and I used to pop over and have a drink with him.So it must have been around 83/84. They drank in our company and they were discussing at the time about what they were going to doif the factory closed.

Can you put me straight as I can't remember, but was this old Monks and Crane building the factory that became Remploy?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »
Hello Phil
Thanks for another memory jerking picture. Yes you are correct the building in the picture is of Monks and Crane.  They either moved or closed I think in the late sixties.  That building has been empty for many years until recently. Part of it I think is now occupied by a freight forwarding firm. The back yard/car park is occupied by part of Richard Gary Ford's truck fleet. The site is at the junction of Granby Avenue and Garretts Green Lane. (within sight of the bakery that Hardings moved to from the Swan). It is not however anything to do with Remploy.
Move along Garretts Green towards The Chestnut Tree pub, Past HRS House (used to be The Kunzle Cake Factory) continue past the next three units. Remploy is the last of the industrial units at the corner. of Sheldon walk and GG Lane.
Remploy I think was the first industrial unit to be built on what we used to call the Cornies as kids, as the name suggests it really was a corn field up to about the  late forties I think. The Remploy is still open today emloying disabled people and Fit staff. The entire estate is know now as The Garretts Green Trading estate.
Hope that's useful.    SB

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy