Author Topic: Irish dance halls in Birmingham  (Read 575 times)

Irish dance halls in Birmingham
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
Hello all,

I'm doing some research for an article in the Birmingham St. Patrick's Festival magazine about the old Irish dance clubs in Birmingham - particularly The Harp (Walford Road) and The Shamrock (Hurst Street). I'd love to speak to anybody that has fond memories of going to these clubs - particularly if yourself, or somebody you know, met their husbands or wives-to-be at one of the clubs. I'm sure some people would be celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversaries after meeting at the clubs and I'd love to share your stories.

Please do let me know if you'd be interested in answering a few short questions.

Best wishes,

Re: Irish dance halls in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:09 PM »
Hello Hanna.
I remember the clubs you mention although the only Shamrock I knew of was in Green Lane, Small Heath and is, I believe, now called The Emerald Club? The Harp in Walford Road was at one time a really lovely place to visit. They had a very good resident band but for the life of me I can't remember their name although one band member was called John. I think his brother also played in the band too but don't quote me on that! I spent many happy nights there with my family. Sadly, times changed.

Re: Irish dance halls in Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
Hi Hannah i used to use the shamrock in the late 70s just before it closed we would go to the Irish centre first then head for the shamrock as it was on till 2am it was a pound on the door and at that time mary and the country roads were the supporting band to Irish star's like Brian coll and the show band The Indians remember it like yesterday they were great times

Regards Martin