Author Topic: companies that have gone in Birmingham  (Read 90568 times)

Dave M

Re: companies that have gone in Birmingham
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
I just stumbled on this site looking for Cannings. It makes me weep thinking what has gone. My father and grandfather were at the GEC, as a boy I remember their open days, massive machines turning armatures, displays. Cricket at the Magnet club. I once worked at Longbridge, how sad now. Red Robbo in Cofton Park, "brothers..."
I worked at Webster and Horsfalls/Latch & Batchelor in Haymills, the oldest privately owned company in Brum, barely surviving now. All so sad
Dave

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
We force our employers to pay a minimum wage then twist the knife by buying our goods from foreign companies who pay their employees a pittance.

The hypocrisy of globalisation!
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Jimmimac

« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:41 PM »

Planetmalc, I have just returned from overseas and still trying to get my brain back into the 1960s/1970s DCPD era.
So, just checking in. Any more memories dredged up about DCPD and all the people we mixed with?

Pedro42

« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »
W Canning were bought out by American company, McDermid, in 1998. They subsequently closed down their factories in Great Hampton Street and Palmer Street,Bordesley Green and built a new factory on the old BSA site in Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath, from where they still operate.

Spud

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
I worked for Lucas for many years and the story goes the the original W Canning actually loaned money to Joseph Lucas to start up his business which in those days was selling Oil for lighting lamps.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Adopted Brummie

« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:34 PM »
Hi I wondered if anyone could help me. I'm looking for more information on Slumberland of Redfern road, tyseley. I'm trying to find out if there was any asbestos in the building or asbestos used in the manufacturing process. Can any of you help?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:56 AM »
Hi Adopted Brummie

Welcome to the forum, asbestos was certainly used by some mattress companies in the manufacture of their products because of it's flame resistant properties. I can't say if Slumberland was one of these companies because they wouldn't be advertising the fact that they had used it at one time would they.

The factory premises would have certainly have contained it's fair share if asbestos in one form or another as did every other building in the country before we were allowed to know that it was killing us and we needed to be rid of it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Adopted Brummie

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply. I think it's likely coz of the age of he building there would be asbestos in it. If anyone out there worked for slumberland in the1960s or 1970s and recalls coming across asbestos at slumberland in tyseley would you private message me. It's for a man who has been diagnosed with an asbestos cancer and worked there for about 10 years. Thanks all

julia ashfield

« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but does anyone have any information on Sarsons and Hateley glass?  They were making flint glass in the mid 1800's... I can't find much on the internet.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread...

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2017, 06:19:27 PM »
Hi Julia

The question is just as well here as anywhere else, after a quick look I was able to find listed in 1855 a Thomas Hately Flint Glass Manufacturer 48 Ashted Row Nechells, and a Henry Sarson Glass Manufacturer at Upper Windsor Street. Now Ashted Row & Upper Windsor Street were just around the corner from each other. If these are the gentlemen you are chasing then I can look further into things and see when and if they did in fact join up or if in 1855 they had indeed parted company?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

julia ashfield

« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
Thanks, Phil.  They are exactly the ones I am looking for.  Thomas Hateley was my 4x Great-uncle, and Henry Sarsons, was  I think, Thomas's nephew or cousin (there was a Henry senior, and he had a son Henry, so not sure which one was in business with Thomas.). If it's not too much trouble, anything you can find would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy