Author Topic: companies that have gone in Birmingham  (Read 90556 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: companies that have gone in Birmingham
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
Dennis

In 1963 Unigate took over the company and then in 1973 it was bought out by Lyons Maid its seems that they were only interested in the ice cream manufacturing eventually the closed the Birmingham depots and moved production down to Middlesex.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
Phil in 63 when Unigate took over did they change the name, as i'm sure Midland counties were around after that.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Joewoen

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
What a great thread. Fascinating history of a great region. Distressing as well though, so many well known companies gone.

Bird's Custard moved out of Digbeth in 1964. Pleasing to see the name lives on. Mr. Bird developed the first non-egg custard. Talking of which, I will start a new thread about the firsts Birmingham produced. I cadged it off another website, so you may have seen it already.

Typhoo Tea, big place, now gone. I remember those funny little vans they had, buzzing around all over. Dinky made a model.

Chance Glass, Smethwick. Responsible of course for the glass for the Crystal Palace. Skilful and revolutionary. The frame for the Crystal Palace was made at a foundry near Langley. They are talking of creating a new Crystal Palace, but I bet it will be made in China, no skills left here.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
Phil in 63 when Unigate took over did they change the name, as i'm sure Midland counties were around after that.

Dennis

I think they kept the name because I seem to remember the Midland Counties name being used after 1963 as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
Davenports beer at home

mikejee

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
I think midland counties ice cream went on onto the early 70s at least. That presumably came from the dairies

Spud

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
Just been doing a bit of Googling on Midland Counties Ice Cream . Although its not absolutely clear it seems that they were still producing Ice Cream Products up until 1978 but is  not clear exactly when the factory closed.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

townie

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
British Leyland    Drews Lane   2nd best job i've ever had. I might be lying as i'm not sure it was a job. 

frederick

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
Is the name Pressed Steel Fisher still going    :-\
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
southalls (smith & nephew) in alum rock and also Parkinson cowan in stechford ( i think it became thorn EMI )  now both demolished. Both my parents worked at both as did most of my family.
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

wam

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
Chance Glass, Smethwick. Responsible of course for the glass for the Crystal Palace. Skilful and revolutionary. The frame for the Crystal Palace was made at a foundry near Langley. They are talking of creating a new Crystal Palace, but I bet it will be made in China, no skills left here.
Which Crystal Palace was that by the way? The Great Exhibition one or the Sydenham version. There were others but I don't think you mean them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy