Author Topic: companies that have gone in Birmingham  (Read 90555 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: companies that have gone in Birmingham
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
Julia

In 1880 James Hateley was listed as a Flint Glass Manufacturer at Chester Street - Dartmouth Street, at that time at the same location Henry Sarson & Son was also listed and also as a Flint Glass Manufacturer but they were two separate listings.

In 1890 they are both still there but still listed as separate concerns, in 1900 the listing has changed to Hateley's Ltd Chandelier & Glass Manufacturers but the address is the same. At this time there is no mention of Henry Sarson or Son.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

julia ashfield

« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
Many thanks Phil.  I think Henry Sarsons senior had died by 1880.  I didn't realise James Hateley was also involved, so that is another avenue for me to explore.  Thanks so much for your time and help.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
Julia

Anytime you think the forum can help just ask, I'm sure that someone will be able to assist you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

julia ashfield

« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »
Thank you Phil.  I must admit to feeing a bit guilty... I only seem to appear when I want to ask something, without contributing in any other way.  You may have picked up my interest in family history research.

However I feel prompted now to get involved in other threads on the board...so thank you too for reawakening my interest in Birmingham as a whole.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
GKN is under threat from a hostile takeover bid from Melrose who have a history of asset stripping and would be expected to sell it off in bits to foreign buyers. It will be interesting to see if the Government intervenes on the basis that it is against the national interest to let one of our last great engineering companies disappear.

Jeremy Corbyn is expected to announce that he would strengthen the public interest test to stop hostile takeovers like this - but is it just talk?
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Whitty

« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
Ian I think you have hit the nail on the head on both counts O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

earlswoodbob

« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
I am sure the Government will step in on GKN issue, as they did with Cadburys and Vauxhall, with the same level of success,  they haven't a clue and fall for any BS assurances they get from the buyers.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
If they don't, they will not get my vote in the next election.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
Don't you think that some MPs might have some shares in these big companies,say one thing and behind back do the other like Cadburys and such >:( >:(
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

lenbrum

« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
anyone remember stewart and Lloyds of bromford I worked there from 1966 in the lamp post manufacturing site left about 1970 one girl I remember was carol gough from erdington

Tracey S

« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy