Author Topic: companies that have gone in Birmingham  (Read 90563 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: companies that have gone in Birmingham
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
Apparently, many of the GKN shareholders bought their shares after Melrose started their hostile bid. In other words, they had no interest in GKN, they were speculators in search of a quick profit. Parasites like this are gambling with our future.    >:( 
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
When Unilever proposed moving it's London HQ to Holland, the media, especially the BBC implied that it was due to Brexit.

It turns out that having temporarily fought off a hostile bid from Kraft Heinz, Unilever decided to play safe and move to the Netherlands where their laws make it a lot harder for a corporate raider to succeed because they also have to take account of the effect on customers, workers, suppliers, innovation, communities and the environment.

JudithM

« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
I know not strictly a company, or Birmingham based, but House of Fraser (formerly Rackhams) is to close - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44394948
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Did anyone actually buy anything fromthese shops.Had to go to Debenhams yesterday to get my Euros.It was empty at 12-00 and the price of the clothes was rediculous.Ill keep shopping at Matalan they're in my price range
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
E F,
Did you know that suits and shirts at M&S are made by the same tailors as those at Matalan......Taylor & Wright M&S have the name put in the suit. Thay also make the dress ties       O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
Frederick ,but why the great difference in price,that is why these top names in fashion are going bump.As I said Debenhams was empty on our new shopping centre at 12-00 .Down the road Matalan,although not packed there were 10 times the amount in there.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »
E F,
We went into Debs yesterday and as you say not many in there. We had food at the Toby carvery restaurant a big place and just a few people eating in there.     :o     In fact Carmarthen wasn't busy at all, the thing to look for are people carrying shopping bags. Anyone going into the properly priced shops like Matalan go into them to buy something.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

JudithM

« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Did anyone actually buy anything fromthese shops.Had to go to Debenhams yesterday to get my Euros.It was empty at 12-00 and the price of the clothes was rediculous.Ill keep shopping at Matalan they're in my price range
I can't say that I've ever bought outer clothes from Rackhams/House of Fraser, but I use their haberdashery department quite frequently (for wool) and their lingerie department is very good for larger cup sizes in the bras (most other places stop at DD or F so no use to me).  I have bought make up & perfume too, and cards & wrapping paper from the Paperchase franchise inside.  The café too is very good & reasonably priced, somewhere nice & quiet to meet a friend for lunch.

I just think that the whole shopping experience is changing.  Those big department stores were always for a bit of a show, somewhere to go & browse round.  Always a bit fancy & upmarket, with something unusual to see (think Lewis's menagerie for instance).  Those sorts have shops have long gone - there's nothing to pull the crowds.

People's shopping habits have changed and with big shopping centres, like the Bull Ring, with lots of different shops close together you don't need to go to one store with lots of different departments in. A lot of people don't even do that kind of shopping anymore as online prices are generally cheaper that the shop.  Another huge issue is rental prices.  One of the Birmingham House of Fraser people was saying this - city centre rents are just too high, especially when profit margins are low.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

kelama

« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
so there I was meandering through Brum on a recent visit when I found myself in Castle Bromwich outside a building that once housed the Cinncinati Milling Machine Company and employed over 2000 people...was kinda like walking past a graveyard

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
so there I was meandering through Brum on a recent visit when I found myself in Castle Bromwich outside a building that once housed the Cinncinati Milling Machine Company and employed over 2000 people...was kinda like walking past a graveyard

And the old Spitfire graveyard next door.

Spud

« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
The Name Cinncinati popped up again in India some years ago but that too has now disappeared. Don't think these old machine tool companies kept up with the Japanese Companies
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy