Author Topic: pictures houses of the past  (Read 39572 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
pictures houses of the past
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »
in the 50 it seemed that every district in brum had at least three picture houses and if you had a Birmingham mail you could look down and see what was on most of the time you could walk so it was never to fare to go brum town had loads there seemed to be two in each road but sadly tv come out and folk stopped going some changed over to Asian films some went over to bingo halls  how Meany can you name and where were they
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: pictures houses of the past
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Roy

If I were to name every picture house in Birmingham and the surrounding area and I suppose I could and I have photos of quite a few of them. We would find that about 90% of them are now gone or the buildings that housed them are now being used for other purposes.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
hi phil
              point taken but the point of this thread is to show just how much we have lost over the years and im sure that some of the members have fond memories of going to the flicks sitting in the back seats with there girl or boy friends and if some of the picture houses was put up by name or even a picture they will say i remember going there it might bring back some happy memories of there youth and im sure that some will ask you have you got one of this picture house  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Mary8790

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
The Tudor picture house in Haunch Lane, Yardley Wood.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
Here you are Mary

Not a picture house I ever went to. It would have been a bus ride on the bus for me (the 24 I think) and if I had to pay bus fare I wouldn't have been able to afford the pictures.

By the time I could afford the bus fare and the entrance fee it had closed down.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mary8790

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the picture Phil.  It was a bingo hall before it closed down and I went there a few times as a kid but mostly I went to the Kingsway in Kings Heath or The Piccadilly on Stratford Road.

tramp

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »
I went to the Piccadilly (Tunes of Glory, Alec Guiness and Susana York) , the Waldorf (Some roman epic)  close to the rink, Imperial, Moseley Rd, (The Girl With Green Hair, Rita Tushingham).   The first technicolour I saw was Treasure Island, and it was set where I now live - but I can't remember where I saw it!  ;D

The place I went to most, because it was close and cheap for Saturday mornings was the ''Bug 'ut'', aka the Olympia on Ladypool Rd.

rob

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
Used to go to the Palladium on Hockley Brook of a saturday morning, there was always someone there with a jacket that had about 100 badges on it      :(

sheldonboy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
Anyone remember
The Adelphi   Yardley

The Sheldon     Sheldon

The Tivoli      Yardley
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

tramp

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »

Saw the Adelphi and Tivoli of Yardley, but never used them.......tried for Sheldon, but couldn't get a visa - even all those years back  ;D

sheldonboy

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
I can understand that, the authorities were more discerning then.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy