Author Topic: Birmingham on sea  (Read 8039 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Birmingham on sea
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »
          if Birmingham can not go to the beach then the beach comes to Birmingham

BIRMINGHAM’S very own city centre beach returned today when it was officially opened in Chamberlain Square.

This year’s beach promises to be bigger and better than ever and will cover 577 square metres and make use of over 110 tonnes of sand.

Free and open daily, the beach has proven to be a popular family friendly attraction since it was first built in 2006 and last year attracted over 100,000 visitors.

so get your cozy and your sun tan oil  all we need is a few donkeys

what do you think
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

Re: Birmingham on sea
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »
If you want donkeys ask the council members to come (and put it on their expenses)

What time is high tide?

margaret

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 03:46:59 AM »
Being an ex-pat I am curious of what this Birmingham by the sea is. Have you a photo of it, and where about in Birmingham is it ?
ex-pat

tramp

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:07:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum margaret.  The idea seems to be exactly what has been posted, namely,

''BIRMINGHAM’S very own city centre beach returned today when it was officially opened in Chamberlain Square.''  - (This is absolute City Centre)

''This year’s beach promises to be bigger and better than ever and will cover 577 square metres and make use of over 110 tonnes of sand.'' - (6,210 sq ft / 690 sq yd)

''Free and open daily, the beach has proven to be a popular family friendly attraction since it was first built in 2006 and last year attracted over 100,000 visitors.''

People seem to like it, some folk'll make a few bob out of it one way or another - nothing new there, but at least it's popular.

I'm an expat too, and like you, had never heard of it this or any other year until this post.

Once again, welcome to the forum - there's a mixture of people still in brum or ''outskirts'' like Solihull, others elsewhere in the UK, and people like us.  Just get stuck in as you have; it's friendly and pretty easygoing and you're free to put in your oar about anything you like including starting a new thread or three. O0

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »
Now I live on the edge of Birmingham and though I have heard of these beaches I have never actually seen either. There are two. if its going to be the same this year I can't say. Last year there was one in the Bull Ring and one in Chamberlain Square.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:57:53 PM »
Phil,

It's just occured to me, what have they done with the bus stops in both places?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 05:14:26 PM »
tramp

Buses don't go through Chamberlain Square or the Bull Ring any more, they go round them. They don't go through most of Birmingham City Centre now or so I believe, but I'm no expert you can count the times I have been on a Birmingham bus in the last forty odd years on one hand.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for this  -  I'd like to see a route map of the city centre.  I've not even seen a BCT bus, or a Midland Red for 50 years.

I saw the B'ham Heritage site that was posted yesterday and it's good - I've found a few places I definitely want to visit like the:  Jewellry Qtr Museum, Aston Transport Msm, The Pen Room, The Assay Office, Tyseley Loco Works, and for old times sake Cannon Hill Pk , Moseley Rd Library (& Baths) and the Lickeys. 

I am very sad that the Science Museum has gone - sheer legalised vandalism.

Are there any other places you, or anyone else, recommend?

tramp

sheldonboy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
Sorry to upset you tramp old bean but no-one else has been on a BCT bus or Midland Red bus for years either.   SB

Phil There is only one Beach and that is in Chamberlain Square  later on tonight I will post some pictures of it.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:20:47 PM »
SB

Never having seen either, you will note in my post I said "There are two. if its going to be the same this year I can't say"

Why is there only one this year?  They don't look that expensive to set up.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Yes Phil there was I believe one at one time between St. Martins and the Bull Ring, but not for some time. There is now only one that's at the back of the Town Hall, Chamberlain square.   SB

I didn't post it to cause an argument I was trying to be helpful.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy