Author Topic: saturday morning pictures  (Read 16101 times)

astrablue

saturday morning pictures
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
 ::)do you remember going to the pictures on saturday mornings to get you out of your mothers hair >
I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

Andy Capp

Re: saturday morning pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »
HI ASTRABLUE
MY SATURDAY MORNING CINEMA WAS THE LUXOR IN BALSALL HEATH ROAD. TO WATCH FLASH GORDON HOPALONG CASSIDY ROY RODGERS  LAUREL & HARDY ALL FOR 6 PENCE IN OLD MONEY. ALSO BELONGED TO THE ABC MINORS AT THE BRISTOL CINEMA. A LONG TIME AGO NOW BUT A LOT OF HAPPY MEMORIES.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
Hopalong Cassidy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
I knew a bloke called William Boyd, he had a limp. Strangely no one called him Hopalong. I find that amazing, perhaps I'm wierd?

This poster of The Lone Ranger advertising a 15 part serial for the Saturday morning picture shows. Theres a couple of things I don't understand. I thought it was Hi Ho not Hi Yo and the other thing is where are Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels. Who are the imposters.

The other is another Saturday morning favourite, Gene Autry with Champion riding down New St in 1930. I see he wasn't riding Champion.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
Loved The Lone Ranger ;D

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
ROY RODGERS WITH TRIGGER

slyvb

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
Hi
stumbled on this site  and yes  remember the matinees at the beacon and clifton cinemas.I lived on the old Walsall road ,have read the posts on big jims woods and  the boggy woods behind spouthouse lane, where my cousins and grandma lived. Brings back fond memories,probably know a few of you, seems to be around the same time. Now living western australia,better weather!
regards

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 04:29:57 PM »
Hi slyvb

Welcome to our growing community of ex-pats. The way things are going we will soon have more ex-pats and people who live outside Brum than actual Brummy's.

We have little to complain about the weather at the moment, but I don't suppose that will last for long.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

slyvb

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
 :)
hi phil47
weather here shocking,rain all day,high winds not good for a bricklayer
regards
slyvb

tramp

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
Of the ''cowbags & onions'' I only liked Hopalong C.  Some will remember a certain other cowboy's sidekick - Tonto - that means stupid, foolish, silly etc... and many US children will have known that - well done Hollywood you won the first Ethnic Respect Oscar with that.   My favourites were, and still are ''The Three Stooges'' slapstick never got more basic or funnier than them.......I still laugh at their antics even though I know what's coming next O0

tramp

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Hello slyvb,

Welcome to the best forum in town.  I'm an expat too and while today is beautifully warm and sunny - most are here - we've just moved into the Hurricane Season (Cyclone to you).   I've seen a bit of Oz, lived there for a few months, in Adelaide and Alice, and spent a few weeks in Sydney, Darwin and Cairns as I worked for Burns Philp based in PNG. 

tramp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy