Author Topic: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM  (Read 42651 times)

buster

Re: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
One of the shops in Longmore Street sold great icecream we went in there on the way to the Luxor for children saturday afternoon show great fun us kids would join in with the cowboy films shouting and makeing lots of noise.

john2000

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24:23 AM »
One of the shops in Longmore Street sold great icecream we went in there on the way to the Luxor for children saturday afternoon show great fun us kids would join in with the cowboy films shouting and makeing lots of noise.

You missed the part about spitting blood and snot, as we tried to get in and some guy trying to keep us in line, ha, and in the break we used to have ice cream lady come down to the front, we where like a howing mob, she used to run back in fear when she had sold her ice creams,but as you say, when we all left there where more cowboys slapping their thighs all the way home,..Happy days, J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

alanmillard

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
John

Whats more important that the local pub?

Phil ;)
Hi phil i only went into the eagle once and that was enough for me i thought i would try all the pubs that my dad used but the only one i liked was the trees on the Bristol rd, i walked in the earl gray and walked back out with out buying a drink i also called in to a pub by Cannon Hill park and the beer was bloody awfull.
alan.  i now live in a better place but i would not have changed anything
alan

john2000

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Hi phil i only went into the eagle once and that was enough for me i thought i would try all the pubs that my dad used but the only one i liked was the trees on the Bristol rd, i walked in the earl gray and walked back out with out buying a drink i also called in to a pub by Cannon Hill park and the beer was bloody awfull.
alan.  i now live in a better place but i would not have changed anything
alan

Now you know why when I was in the Cannon I only used to drink bitter,  ( they cant mess with it,) J2

alanmillard

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »

Now you know why when I was in the Cannon I only used to drink bitter,  ( they cant mess with it,) J2
thanks mate i will remember that if i decide to try the same thing again.
alan

mocky

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
looking for anyone who knew my family who lived in Longmore street in the 50's Surname AZIZ

Looking for information on Longmore Street in the 1950's what type of street was it, from the pictures posted it appears to have plenty of pubs.  Was it working class street, what type of properties were there, ie business homes mixture, rented properties, type of business there, and what is left there now.  Has the street been totally demolished and rebuilt.
Mocky

mocky

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
we had Melvyn Carole ann Barrie and Mocky any one remember us ?
looking for anyone who knew my family who lived in Longmore street in the 50's Surname AZIZ

Looking for information on Longmore Street in the 1950's what type of street was it, from the pictures posted it appears to have plenty of pubs.  Was it working class street, what type of properties were there, ie business homes mixture, rented properties, type of business there, and what is left there now.  Has the street been totally demolished and rebuilt.
Mocky

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
Mocky

Did your family move up to Wenman Street near the corner of Pearson St in the 60's, because I think I knew your older brother and sisters. Sorry but if you are one of the younger children then I would have only knew you as a child.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

Longmore St, had:
3 pubs,
1 fish and chip shop,
2 general stores,
1 Ironmonger, ( tool shop),
1 army Navy store,
1 second hand car dealer ( bombsite)
1 undertaker,
3 back to back entries ( 1 on the right,2 on the left)
the 48 bus run up there,
and one furniture store, across the road from the Midland bank.
roads leading off Longmore St where River St and Sherbourne Rd,
each end of Longmore St was Balsall Hearth Rd, and Belgrave Rd,
J2

charliewag

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Hi John,
 Do you remember the Clock and watch repairers with a clock and the girl on a swing in the window in   Longmore St, just up from the green grocers Bliss's, it was there for years.

Charlie
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

mocky

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Hi Phil,
Yes we moved to Wenman Street,can you tell me your last name perhaps I would remember you and yes I am the youngest, Melvyn is the eldest then Barrie,Mocky
Mocky

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy