Author Topic: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM  (Read 42725 times)

janey

Re: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
The Jean I am on about married an asian man who owned a cafe in cleavedon road,I think the cafe was called the Kashmir,his name was Abdul,but I am sure her surname was mcilroy,she was in one class below me at school.mind you thinking about it she did look rather grown up having reflected on it,M
[/quote
The Jean I mean was in my year so we must be talking about a different girl, do you remember Mr Carter English, great teacher, Mr Burgess Art never much liked him,

mocky

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 06:28:47 AM »
Hi Phil, thanks for the photo of cleavedon Rd,gosh it brings back a lot of memmories,there was another cafe about six places futherup named phyar casagar or something like that,my dad had shares in the Kashmir,do you have any photo's of Wenman street,just a thought running along side of Cleavedon road was a type of alley way called jakeman walk at the bottom end was a grocers and the Hussains run it one of my friends was Zomid Hussain a couple of years older than me,he had two brothers Zumid and Nurrel,have you any pictures of Balsall heath surrounding streets I could pass them onto Melvyn I think he is still living in the 50's as he has only just found the internet,thanks Phil, ;) Mocky
The Kashmir Café toward the middle right of the photo. This must have been taken shortly before the street was demolished.

Phil
Mocky

mocky

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:04 AM »
Hello rwm?, It's nice of you to get in touch,it's amazing I left Hope St and had a spell at Denis Rd it was like we had landed on another planet even the school kids were weird,lol,The names are vague at the moment,you must be slightly older than me going by your dates,most of my infant schooling was at Mary St then the Seniors at eleven at Hope St,it great news to hear Kathleen has been doing well,please give her my regards,and it has been a pleasure talking to you please keep in touch,kind sincere regards Mocky,
mocky , have 4 sisters , only one went to hope street,  kathleen  mcgowan , has lived in australia for 43 years , has done very well , i onlly went to hope street  for 12 months 51 to 52 , did a spell at dennis road  n from 1950 to 1951 didnt like it , glad to leave but did like my spell at hope street , ganged up with pat roach and john randall ,  there was also miriam din, jimmy rose and frankie ellis , kath is over on a visit to the uk in two weeks time , rwm
Mocky

mocky

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:14 AM »
Sorry spelling mistake,(memories)over tapped on the key board,
Hi Phil, thanks for the photo of cleavedon Rd,gosh it brings back a lot of memmories,there was another cafe about six places futherup named phyar casagar or something like that,my dad had shares in the Kashmir,do you have any photo's of Wenman street,just a thought running along side of Cleavedon road was a type of alley way called jakeman walk at the bottom end was a grocers and the Hussains run it one of my friends was Zomid Hussain a couple of years older than me,he had two brothers Zumid and Nurrel,have you any pictures of Balsall heath surrounding streets I could pass them onto Melvyn I think he is still living in the 50's as he has only just found the internet,thanks Phil, ;) Mocky
Mocky

mocky

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
Hello rwm, Just a thought the Kathleen I knew lived off Mcdonald Street near Gooch street somewhere,
 I thought her surname was McDonagh,because that name keeps cropping up for some reason,I do recall her going out with a boy called Charlie Foot,but they split up once the vultures came around lol,I know at our school dance all the girls were put into a large circle on the outside and the boys were put into a circle on the inside and a vague bit of music was played then stopped and who was opposite you,
You took to the little hall further down Hope St to the dance and yes Kathleen stopped opposite me and yes all of the Vultures came running over to grab poor Kathleen and yes you guessed it I did not take her to the dance,her loss lol,If this is your sister then she done the right thing going to Australia as the Vultures were circling,I am just sitting thinking about it all and laughing,take care,M
Hello rwm?, It's nice of you to get in touch,it's amazing I left Hope St and had a spell at Denis Rd it was like we had landed on another planet even the school kids were weird,lol,The names are vague at the moment,you must be slightly older than me going by your dates,most of my infant schooling was at Mary St then the Seniors at eleven at Hope St,it great news to hear Kathleen has been doing well,please give her my regards,and it has been a pleasure talking to you please keep in touch,kind sincere regards Mocky,
Mocky

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Mocky

If you look through these threads you will see some photos of Balsall Heath & the surrounding areas.

Balsall Heath as it was
Balsall Heath Memories
Sparkhill Sparkbrook & Highgate

But you will find others scattered throughout the forum as threads tend to merge a lot on here.

Here are a couple of photos you should recognise.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mocky

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
Thanks Phil,the picture of the corner of Edward road above Tom Hughes butchers was Nicky's night club very exclusive, Nick used to own the scrap yard a bit further along Wenman St and had a nasty dog called "maverick",had my first pint of Mild at the Rose and Crown in Wenman St,opposite was an off licence run by the Clarkes,M
Mocky

If you look through these threads you will see some photos of Balsall Heath & the surrounding areas.

Balsall Heath as it was
Balsall Heath Memories
Sparkhill Sparkbrook & Highgate

But you will find others scattered throughout the forum as threads tend to merge a lot on here.

Here are a couple of photos you should recognise.

Phil
Mocky

mocky

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Sorry the Crown,
Thanks Phil,the picture of the corner of Edward road above Tom Hughes butchers was Nicky's night club very exclusive, Nick used to own the scrap yard a bit further along Wenman St and had a nasty dog called "maverick",had my first pint of Mild at the Rose and Crown in Wenman St,opposite was an off licence run by the Clarkes,M
Mocky

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
Mocky

You are on about a scrap merchant who later branched out into skip hire. 
When our yard at the top of Balsall Heath Rd was compulsory purchased in 74/75 not wanting to move from an area where we were known we offered to develop the ground, but we were told that our business which was then skip hire was not covered by the new planning zoning for the area. So we would have to move out and they offered us a piece of land in Aston to develop. We refused it and found our own place in Greet.

The compensation they paid us was derisory, we later saw that this scrap merchants new yard at the top of Vincent St backed on to our old premises and in fact took up over half of it, and he was now in the "skip Hire" business. I do know the name of the scrap merchant but I won't publish it.

Yes the Rose & Crown was in Vincent St at the top of Hamden St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mocky

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Yes,the Rose and Crown was owned by the Roulstons my ex wifes aunt and uncle,Ronnie and Jean,
Mocky

You are on about a scrap merchant who later branched out into skip hire. 
When our yard at the top of Balsall Heath Rd was compulsory purchased in 74/75 not wanting to move from an area where we were known we offered to develop the ground, but we were told that our business which was then skip hire was not covered by the new planning zoning for the area. So we would have to move out and they offered us a piece of land in Aston to develop. We refused it and found our own place in Greet.

The compensation they paid us was derisory, we later saw that this scrap merchants new yard at the top of Vincent St backed on to our old premises and in fact took up over half of it, and he was now in the "skip Hire" business. I do know the name of the scrap merchant but I won't publish it.

Yes the Rose & Crown was in Vincent St at the top of Hamden St.

Phil
Mocky

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Mocky

Have you seen the site photographers direct. They have 190 images of Balsall Heath among thousands of other photos, they have some recent, but quite a few older ones from the 60's and before. I'm sure there is one of your mother among them so be sure to check them all out because I may be wrong the memory is beginning to fail me now. You never know there may even be one of you on there. Let me know when you have got the link as I will remove it later because it is a commercial site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy