Author Topic: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM  (Read 42649 times)

mocky

Re: LONGMORE STREET BIRMINGHAM
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
Geoff,can give me your email address,M 
oh! 3 children and 3 grandchildren by the way
Mocky

owens

« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
I now live denver rd maypole
geoff owens

mocky

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
Geoff send nme your email address,Mocky
Mocky

wexman

« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
HI MOCKY

How are you keeping? It's been many years since i last spoke to you and that was in the days of wenman street.
I am john the brother of margaret barrys wife

Bari

« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »
Hi JW

First of all welcome to the forum, secondly you are right about Longmore St it has now gone well at least all the old buildings have. It runs between Balsall Heath Rd and Belgrave Rd (Middleway). It was a continuation of Cox St West and it ran in to Gooch St.

It was a working class area in its time and mostly a shopping area (at least as I remember it). I will have a look and see what photos I can come up with.

We have several members on this forum who lived in the locality. They should be able to tell you more about the area. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Phil
It was mostly shops, we lived there in the 50's we lived in back to back houses, there were only a few of us. At the junction of Longmore Street and River Street there was Amblers Funereal home and at the junction with Belgrave Road on the opposite side of the road there was a grocery store named Wrensons. I
I think therefore I am

Bari

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
Hi JW

First of all welcome to the forum, secondly you are right about Longmore St it has now gone well at least all the old buildings have. It runs between Balsall Heath Rd and Belgrave Rd (Middleway). It was a continuation of Cox St West and it ran in to Gooch St.

It was a working class area in its time and mostly a shopping area (at least as I remember it). I will have a look and see what photos I can come up with.

We have several members on this forum who lived in the locality. They should be able to tell you more about the area. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Phil
Phil, heres one or you to ponder over, does any recall Dare's brewery in Belgrave Road.
I think therefore I am

speedy

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »
Phil, heres one or you to ponder over, does any recall Dare's brewery in Belgrave Road.
Hi Bari i don't remember the brewery my self but i know my grandmother lived the other side of the wall and so did my dads family that woul be the Rainsfords and the Millards.
speedy

Bari

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
Hi Bari i don't remember the brewery my self but i know my grandmother lived the other side of the wall and so did my dads family that woul be the Rainsfords and the Millards.
speedy
Thanks Speedy, opposite the brewery next to the public house there was a shop that two old women ran where you could take comics to swap or sell. This web site has brought back some fantastic memories for me.
I think therefore I am

Bari

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »
Hi I remember all those teachers, Mr Drayton left shortly after I started at Hope St, and Mr Benson was the head teacher then, he was ok, Mr Green was ok, I started Hope St when we went into the seniors, I was just thinking about the 3 girls we mentioned, I think it was Joan, not Jane, your cafe sounds very interesting, lol, I left school in 66, were you in the same year as me, theres someone else I chatted to who was in our class, Dave Pedan, if you find a thread called Bishop St, I was talking to him on there.
Hi Janey, reading through some old posts, looking at them you appeared to be in the year lower to me at Hope Street, girls that ou mention are Bernie Hall and her long time friend Joan Poyner hope this helps.
I think therefore I am

Bari

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
Hello Jane,Yes it's probably me not recalling there surnames,the other two names elude me at the moment but will try and recall them,,I had some friends at Hope St but my closest friends were at different schools,I do remember a couple Johnny Roberts (jumping jack) he hated that name he always appeared to be on springs as he walked lol, he was a good friend though,Noel Powell,Last I heard he had passed away(my best mate for many years,I lost contact with him when I moved to Essex and later had the news he had passed on,I am so sorry I do not recall you but if you could let me have your surname I am sure I would remember youI do not go onto Freinds reunited or any other site like that keep well :) ,M
Mocky, you are so dead I never had a crush on Bernie Hall it's your memory being selective.
I think therefore I am

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Bari,

Yes I remember Dares Brewery well, in fact I had a relation (by marriage) that had a shop close by on Belgrave Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy