Author Topic: Changes afoot  (Read 20590 times)

frederick

Re: Changes afoot
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »
i am using my bus pass all the time to get me home on the bus when it rains i would rather walk for the exercise.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
i was told that you could get a bus pass for a woman when she is 60 and it used to be 65 for a man but now its 60 for both and its seems that you can use it all over england but im not sure but i think its got a time limit on it after 0930 and up till 1500 and from 1800 till late im not sure of them times its just what iv been told now i think that good because if you would like a day out in brum it costs you nothing and that bus fare you would have spent will be spent in the market so once again brum wins with the shoppers and what you can not carry one day you go back the next
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sheldonboy

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
I understand some of the comments being made about buses not being full at certain times. Most as usual made by people who rarely use them or even come to Brum if they can help it.
 Most of the buses in Birmingham are operated by West midlands Travel/Stagecoach. There are a great deal of other buses on quite a few routes that are run by independants. These operators  are all in direct opposition with each other and therefore do not communicate with each other.
 Another major factor which no-one has bothered to mention is passengers do not give prior notice as to when they are going to need a bus, ie when the weather turns nasty which has been known to happen in this country an awfull lot of people stay at home.
 When the weather is very nice loads more people are out and about. Unfortunately bus drivers work schedules are not arranged by the Met office. I worked in a busy pub for many years and the weather certainly affected our trade. If anyone wants to use our bus network whist in town, come aboard you are very welcome. Just take note of the local situation. There are also the odd spare drivers around to cover for absentees etc. when these are not required for such a duty they can be sent out on an extra duty, the average fare paying passenger very much welcomes this situation. We do not want to be crammed onto every bus that we catch just to make some out of town car drivers happy who by the way use more fuel and takes up more space than our buses.   Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

denise

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
Brum is a great city.When I lived in Moseley I used the 50 route all the time,a great service,the number 1 route was a disgrace,onlyturned up when it felt like it and I am serious about that.

I think elderly people whatever their income should have free bus passes.In fact if I had my way I would give people of pension age free everything.It is about time we gave the elderly the respect they deserve in this country.

No,I am not that age yet ;D

sheldonboy

« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »
Hi denise
I did'nt  think you were of that age for a minute. The No. 1 route I have no experience of But the No. 50 was always spoken of as the busiest Bus Corridor in Europe.
Yes I also agree that pensioners deserve free bus passes, I am not convinced that our Government which ever colour they happen to be will agree. They all will be out to save money and the older Generation will be seen as soft targets. Make no mistake I do not trust our politicians any more.     SB
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

chas35

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi Denise, when visiting my daughter in Moseley I am often dropped off by my hubby in Brum and she picks me up but to save her the bother of picking me up I would rather catch the bus. did wait for a No.1. for absolutely ages and it never came, so could you tell me where to catch the 50 and  does it go to Moseley village? or where does it drop you off, thanks.

denise

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »
If you are in the city centre you pick it up at the back area of Marks and spencer.There are stop all along the Alcester Road.It runs from town to kings heath and beyond.

If you tell me more details of where you are coming from I may be able to help a bit more :)

chas35

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Denise thanks so much, will be coming from Town so M & S bus stop fine and then going to Grove Avenue Moseley.

denise

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Just get off in Moseley village and walk up.Very regular service. ;D

chas35

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
Denise - brill thanks

denise

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
Going back to the number 1 service.My husband used to work in Edgbaston.Many a night I had to go and pick him up because of a no show of the number 1.On wet winter nights we ussed to pick up other people who were left stranded at the bus stop with him.No matter how many times we rang up and complained it made no difference.Hopefully things may have improved now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy