Author Topic: Changes afoot  (Read 20530 times)

blueblizzard

Re: Changes afoot
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
Tramp,,Not sure about Brooke Tool but Serck is gone, as for Tyseley shed  a large number of local trains are all returned to  tyseley each night (very big site).
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

tramp

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
Thanks for this Phil and blueblizzard,

Pity about the two works, I can still picture their upper parts with the names on.

I've 'visited' the Tyseley Trains through the Heritage Forum link - it looks pretty good -  a mate a few years older than me started work there, became a fireman and then went to NZ.

tramp

blueblizzard

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:34 AM »
Tramp,, Don,t know how much you remember about the sidings at Tyseley but when we travel into Birmingham by train when we get to Tyseley station the sidings start  and do not finish untill you are virtually at Small Heath station.

tramp

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
I hadn't realised that they are so long, that's over 2 miles isn't it?  I usually only travelled illegally by train as a child, so that wasn't that often.  The LMS was much easier to wangle than GW so it was usually out of New St for Euston rather than Snow Hill for Paddington.

I found that provided you asked first and then did as you were told, the railmen were very fair and they'd give me a mug of tea now and then - I was fascinated by trains, in part because of magnificence of a steam engine, because it was part of ''getting away'', of doing my own thing etc.

Do you use that line, or pass by Tyseley often?

blueblizzard

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 01:37:17 AM »
Going to the blues  we sometimes use  the the train,, the stations we pass are (from Shirley) Yardley Wood ,, Hall Green  Spring Road ,,Tyseley Small heath,, Bordesley

tramp

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »
Good idea, no parking problems, vandalism or theft and stress free too, particularly if the match was ''one of them''.   Where do you get off the train?

blueblizzard

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 01:57:54 AM »
Bordesley a unique station, as trains will only stop there on matchdays (an hour before and after kick off ) and at no other time ,,, Then run up the cov road into the Black Horse for a pint

tramp

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 02:18:19 AM »
That's very convenient?  Is the station close to a bridge, or am I confusing it with another?

It must be after 2.15am in brum - it's only turned 9.15pm here - after a week's work aren't you tired?

blueblizzard

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
Tramp  the station is the bridge over the Cov road   ps her indoors and daughter not back till late afternnoon tomorrow (visiting relatives) so yes late night but I am flagging

tramp

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 04:54:46 AM »
blueblizzard,

Thank you,  O0 that's what I'd thought, but it is 50 years since I was in brum and few more since I went over or under that bridge!

bill.w

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »
i.left.stalbans.school.in.1956.and.started.workat.tysley.sheds,as.a.cleaner.and.later.fireman

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy