Author Topic: Changes afoot  (Read 20531 times)

sheldonboy

Changes afoot
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »
RENOVATING BRUMMAGEM

Reconstruction of Digbeth Coach Station. Rea Street end.  Temporary Coach Station is in Oxford Street.   SB

Yes I know both pictures are the same   sorry.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

sheldonboy

Re: Changes afoot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:13 AM »
RENOVATING DIGBETH a bit more
This is a bit more of Digbeth Coach Stations re-fit.
The first picture is the old Birds custard Factory having a total change.

The second one is The coach Station, If I manage to get this lot right I will follow the massive changes to East Side of the city now underway.  SB

sheldonboy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:13:31 AM »
Try again
The second picture, This is the other end of the Coach Station next to The Dubliner pub.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »
SB

Perseverance is all it takes; looks like it will make a very interesting thread especially for our ex-pats. Keep up the good work.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
sheldonboy,

Thanks very much for these...the old coach station bring back memories and not just Midland Red - I recall Royal Blue in particular - it's coaches always shone and one model they used for a few years had a 'fin' where the rounded back and roof joined...there were many other lines to various parts of the country but Royal Blue stood out - it went to the south coast, Bournemouth etc.

And the other abiding memories of the area were the British Restaurant and the splendidly historical appearance of the old pub across the road.   

sheldonboy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
tramp and Phil
Thanks for comments, I wrestled for a while with a couple of resizing programmes that I downloaded, they were far too much trouble. In the end I settled for a programme that I already had but under used. I travel through the city centre at least six days a week so I hope to keep up with a reasonable amount of changes.
               SB

tramp

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
 sheldonboy,

It would be terrific if you can keep them coming - where do you travel from and to, and what transport do you use?

tramp

sheldonboy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
Good evening tramp old pal
I jump on 13 or 17 bus to Bull Ring. Then catch 37 bus to Warwick Road Tysely, stopping to take in the scenery ? or anything else I may find interesting en route.
Some of you may be surprised to hear that Vale Onslow on the Stratford Road is still in operation, the shop is very run down but still going. I remember seeing John Vale Onslow on this is your life many years ago.  A bit farther down the Stratford Road The Angel pub, although closed there seems to be work going on at rear, with a large scaffolding structure appearing ( but taking a very long time ).  Following on we get to what used to be the Mermaid, It was turned into the President, Asian restaurant, and closed after a rather large fire, work seems to be going on to re-open this place but again taking a long time.   Turning into the Warwick road, down on the right hand side, we come to what used to be The Sportsman pub, now it's called McDwyers, very well run by Bernie McDwyer a very experienced and welcoming landlady. This wonderful early morning trip is an educative way to start the day, it is never the same two days running. Sb

tramp

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »
sheldonboy,

That sounds a long trip to work.  How long does it take, and how long when you return when there is more traffic?   I bet you're glad to have such an early start as doing it 90 mins later in the morning would be awful.  Your route from the City Centre to Tyseley was very familiar ground to me.....I continued down to lincoln Rd Acocks Green.  Thinking aloud right now, it'd be good to do it again next year.

sheldonboy

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Hi tramp,
No it doesn't take too long,  around One hour on two buses, but I leave early and there is no rush, if I miss a bus or a full one comes along  I just wait for the next one. It's surprising how busy the city is at 6.30-7.00 in the morning. It's much nicer too even the guy who sells the big issue is glad of a chat.  SB

tramp

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »
Hi sheldonboy,

Am glad it's a decent traffic trouble free journey and that you enjoy it, especially the wee walk in the City Centre, that'll make the hour feel much less like dead time.  I'm also interested in your trip as I've never in my life commuted more than 20 minutes, and am very, very thankful for that.  Often it was 5- 10 mins, or even less, like Tonga.  There I did a ''Coast to Coast'', north to south feet in the water at both ends in 9 min 22 seconds, in a Toyota Hi-Lux van.  All roads but one were of crushed coral which worked like grinding paste on tyres - still nobody even did 50 miles in a day, so they lasted a few years!  Here, for much work nowadays I don't go out, the student comes to me, or we do an Internet Class with headphones and various sites.  Translations are by PC too.   
I rarely do simultaneous live translations - they can pay well but it's like listening to a mad hatter's tea party - plus too much hanging about.     

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy