Author Topic: DARWIN STREET  (Read 14722 times)

Actualiser

Re: DARWIN STREET
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
Thanks Mikejee. The map is really useful, as I just couldn't place them (and was looking on the wrong side of the road!). Your descriptions of beer houses is fascinating from an historical perspective. But, also, when thinking about my Ancestirs, it really brings their life alive. They were obviously quite successful, as they ran the business for decades. Thanks for the insights Mike and Phil. Much appreciated.

Pepper

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Looking at the old photos if Darwin Street bought back so many memories. We moved there in 1952 when my parents bought the corner shop (Chandos Rd/Darwin Street).  There was a scrapyard opposite where my little brother and I used to climb over the wall and broken fence and jump[size=78%] into the great bins of swarf. Health & safety would gave a fit !! I was 11 then and went to Highgate Seconday Girls School just up the hill, until I left at 15. If anyone is interested in my memories of our lives there, please let me know. [/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Hi Pepper

Welcome to the forum, we are always interested in posters reminisces of Birmingham, there are a couple of photos and mentions of Chandos Street on the forum just type Chandos Street into the search box at the top right of the page. Just one thing where was your shop located as I can't bring it to mind as Chandos Street and Darwin Street never met did they as Salop Street was in between the two.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spen

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
i have found out that my grandad owned the coal business in Darwin street and my nan had sweet shop in moseley road near Leopold street.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
Hi Spen

Welcome to the forum, there were two coal yards in Darwin Street one at 93 owned by H Bayliss and the other at 206 owned by R Slater. Mind you that was in the mid 60's are we talking about earlier or later than that. I suppose the sweet shop on Moseley Road could have been the one I used if going to the Alhambra  Cinema called the Candy Box?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »

the sweet shop would have where the red x marks the spot 

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Bev

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
So funny to see the peacock pub, my nan used to own it. Rose souplat, many memories being there as a young child in the 60s.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 11:29:04 PM »
Hi Bev. We're have you been welcome back
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

FrederickCGray1885to1971

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 11:36:09 PM »
Hi all, I've just come across this forum while searching for old photos of Darwin Street.
I thought I'd share a photo of my Great Grandfather's shop on Darwin Street. The gentleman outside the shop is my Great Great Grandfather John Gray.
My Great Grandfather Frederick Charles Gray ran 2 or 3 building reclamation yards in Birmingham. I think this shop sold off the household bric a brac.
Can anyone pinpoint the location of this shop? I think the area was mostly demolished some time since the war.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy