Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 23294 times)

Des Gardner

Re: dare to build
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
I worked for Harry Dare, we built 3 storey flats on the Stratford Road Shirley, opposite the new Sports Direct shop, which used to be P.C.World, but in those days it used to be Shirley Timber......I spoke to Harry Dare several times when he sometimes came to see the site he came in his Roller of course, he seemed a lovely man......I worked on the Handsworth Wood site Too, I am talking the early 1960s could be 1961 or 1962.......

Spud

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »
The Flats in Shirley are in the course of being re Tiled at the moment. During the Sixties any empty flat in the block had the reputation of being a rendezvous for Mr P Dare and his dalliances !!
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Des Gardner

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
I did not ever meet the two sons but I had heard about them! I spoke to Harry quite a few times, I cant remember which site but I have an idea it was Handsworth Wood  there was a bad snowfall during the night, we got to work ok I had a motorbike in those days anyway we could not do any work at all but on Friday which was pay day Harry said I want you all at St Andrews (Birmingham City FC) you have to get the snow off the pitch he went on to say we have an important game to play on Saturday I think it was the Spurs, I did meet some of the Blues players who we had quite a few laughs with I remember talking to Stan the Wham Lynne I think he had just joined the Blues from the Villa he was a lovely person to speak to......We went on to clean every bit of snow off the pitch it was dark when we finished, we got our pay then had to make our way back to Handsworth Wood to collect my motor bike and some of the others had cars...........oh by the way Blues lost the game and the Spurs said the pitch was great to play on!........I am sure it was Spurs but it was a long time ago! I did not ever meet any of the office staff.......

Claverdoniam

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
I have just discovered this forum.

My family bought David Dare's family house in Claverdon in the 1970s. I no longer own the house, but live nearby.

Susan's account was very interesting. If she is interested, perhaps she would like to contact me please?

David, who sadly died a few years after he sold the house was pleasant and friendly. His wife also. If I remember correctly the sale of the house was a sad time for them both.

Austy Manor is once again a family house.

Spud

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
I have just discovered this forum.

My family bought David Dare's family house in Claverdon in the 1970s. I no longer own the house, but live nearby.

Susan's account was very interesting. If she is interested, perhaps she would like to contact me please?

David, who sadly died a few years after he sold the house was pleasant and friendly. His wife also. If I remember correctly the sale of the house was a sad time for them both.

Austy Manor is once again a family house.

Working for Dares in the 1960s I was interested in your post concerning David Dare. I suppose your family buying David's house was at about the time the Dare Family business collapsed, I guess David would only have been in his fifties when he died I seem to remember he went to live in South Africa.
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Claverdoniam

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
I understand it was Patrick who went to South Africa, but subsequently returned. David continued to live in the UK, and I believe, locally. Sadly we were told David died on a day when we were to meet him. I remember his wife was very beautiful.

David's gardener Charlie Fowler who lived in the village continued for a good many years helping us. He was a lovely character, and full of stories of local past life and people from this village. He died a good many years ago. From our conversations, it was clear he worshipped Mrs Dare. He did not like us to make any changes in the garden, because "that was the way Mrs Dare did it"!