Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36819 times)

ullenhallite

Re: dare to build
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
I have spent the best part of my life in South Africa but grew up in Ullenhall where my Dad was the Parish Vicar. As kids we used to play in the ground and ruins of Barrels Hall which were owned by Patrick Dare. He often used to to chase us off and set his Alsation dogs on to us. Sometime in the 1960's the Swiss chateuax that he lived in and Barrels Hall ruins and grounds was bought by Mr. John Saville. In stark contrast Mr. Saville was a really nice man who had made his millions as a scrap dealer in Birmingham. He turned a blind eye when we played in the ruins and grounds. I remember my dad getting him to open a church fete one year and we still have the photographs. My parents were particularly fond of the Savilles who were self made millionaires and did not let it go to their heads. I remeber my parents being particularly upset when Mrs Saville passed away at a relatively young age.
Fast forward a few years. After an engineering apprenticeship in Birmingham and obtaining my degree in Mechanical Engineering I joined the Anglo American Corporation of South Africa and spent my working career with them recently retiring.
It was back in the late 1970's I read a report in the Sunday Times, which is published in Johannesburg, of a property development syndicate who had scammed and defrauded alot of people, including pensioners, out of alot of money. The report mentioned a certain "Patrick Dare of Henley in Arden". So strange to read that familiar name after so many years and so many thousands of miles awy.

MCDare

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
All,seems your wrong!

Luke if you need more information please make contact.

Regards

M C Dare

Canadaian

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
I came across this forum by chance, my husband and I used to work for David Dare of Coulters Grange, Claverdon in the late sixties, they were very good to us I have to say. We had very little, only what would fit into a Mini and that included our infant daughter a cat, dog, and horse!! Although the pay wasn't great we had a lovely home (Crown Farm, Claverdon) and Mrs Dare was a kind employer who doted on our daughters. We had our second child whilst working there too and only left because I had to take care of my mother in Devon. My husband worked at night in the Mitchel and Butlers Club in Edgebaston and I worked at the Navigation Inn in Wootten at lunch times to try and make ends meet. I remember Eddie and Heather and I seem to remember Heathers parents also worked at Austy Manor ? I also remember Ken Lakenby David Dares groom and I remember Vultrix, Mr Moses (grey) and Aitch Dee Seventy. I can honestly say we enjoyed our life there. After leaving college our eldest daughter went back to Warwickshire and worked for Captain Arkright at Hatton for a while.
These days we are retired (supposedly) and live on Prince Edward Island, Canada's smallest province just off the east coast. We moved to Manitoba, Canada in 1993 and bought a dairy farm, by the time we retired we had an 800 acre ranch, a far cry from being a handyman and a downstairs maid in the 60's  :) . It was great to read a little about life in the past, sorry that things went bad for the Dare's though, I wonder what happened to the three children.
Susan

Spud

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Hi Canadian, I was looking through the old post referring to Dare to Build and see that you live on Prince Edward Island by coincidence my wife were in Charlottetown last year as you see we spent a very pleasant hour or so in one of those Micro Breweries . You may remember I worked at Dares Head Office in the 1960s. We really loved Charlotte Town met some lovely people .
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

bakedp

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Hi All

Very interesting reading about Harry Dare and Sons. I have a similar situation to Planner Luke. There is an area of waste land next to at H Dare & Sons development at the bottom of my garden, in Erdinton, and have been trying to trace ownership. It seems like a trait of theirs. Any help on finding any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Spud

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Have you tried The Land Registration they use have a place in Coventry
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

bakedp

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Thanks Spud

I have tried them. The 'new' (1960's) houses are registered but the waste land left over is not.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
bakedp

Go and squat on the land, and believe me someone will soon come along and tell you it's theirs. If not after 10 years it's yours.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bakedp

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 09:44:27 AM »
Phil

Thanks for the advice, I have heard that can be true but is a lengthy process, on top of the ten years. I have already planted some bushes in there but want to build a shed and would hate for it to have to come down. I would like to buy it if I could.

Rob

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
bakedp

Is there any access to the land other than through your property? If not I would just claim it as I can't see it ever being claimed if it cannot be reached.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bakedp

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
Phil

It is open to the neighbours side. I would like to have the piece of paper to say I own it

Thanks though

Rob

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy