Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36800 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: dare to build
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
Rob

I don't know what size piece of land you are talking about, but why not just divide it up between you and your neighbour and fence it off?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Two different types of houses being built here in the 50's. I wonder who was getting the prefabricated buildings, not those who could afford the semi's that a certainty.

Spud if you look closely you will catch a glimpse of your old boss Harry Dare here.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/houses-at-speed/query/birmingham
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
Seem to remember seeing that clip before. Pretty sure that the houses being built were in Shirley Road Hall Green.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Bertie Bassett

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 03:11:40 AM »
Hi. Charles was my Dad surname Corrall.

PHD

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Hi I am a descendant and really enjoyed reading this blog/forum.
Some of it is true and some quite wrong!
As for Dare to Build it was only the logo, the company was called Dare's Estates. It was divided up when the company went public. HD sold all his shares eventually as he did not like not being in control. He set up Dare Homebuild in Henley in Arden instead. The Dare To Build was used here again. Ted Maine and others came across with him.
I particularly enjoyed hearing that David & Susan, "Canadaian" Funny that you moved to Canada! I have just returned from 4x years there based in New Brunswick! I also have cousins in Calgary and Halifax!

Spud

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
I worked for 'Dares' In the 60s and knew Ted Mayne very well he was a real gentleman. He went to live in Leamington Spa.As you say Dare To Build was just a logo.As for the title of the company the Dares Estates tended looked after sales and rental side the actual Building leg was H Dare & Son Ltd. They also had a Company in the Manchester Area cannot recall the actual name the name Dare was certainly part of it. Dares also had a Plant Hire business located in Flaxley Road Stechford [Atlas ?] and a small company in Wynford Road Acocks Green Marb Lustre manufacturing fireplaces and concrete lintels. They also had an interest in Candy and Morris the Builders Merchants in Shirley.
As for Dare Homebuild in Henley In Arden I believe that was set up by one of Harry Dare's Sons.David if I remember correctly as you say Ted Mayne went with him. One of the other members of this Forum was quite familiar with the Henley set up and I hate say it but I am led to believe that a lot of promises were made to buyers which did not materialise and it was left to my old friend Ted Mayne to sort out.

I also see that the name Corrall is mentioned in a post going back to June 15 2015. There was a 'Charlie'  Corrall who worked in Sales when Dares had their offices in Alum Rock Road I did not know him that well but he was always very pleasant to get on with.

Birmingham1993

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
I have a good contact with a heir at the moment, message me back for further details.

Thanks

DJ

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
Just picked up this post on the forum about Dare to Build whilst doing some family tree investigations. My father used to work for Harry Dare and spent most of his working life there, I think, at the Ward End depot. His name was John 'Taffy' James and he was the transport forman. I have some stories he told me of his time there if it is of interest.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
Hi DJ welcome to you, as we have a couple of posters that worked for Dare's I have no doubt they would be interested in what you have to relate.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

DJ

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Hi Phil
I was intrigued by the photo that has been posted for this topic and wondered if my father was on it as he used to take my Mother on the outings as I remember. However, he doesn't seem to be there
We used to live in Alum Rock in my Grandma's house until I was about 7 and that's when I presume my Dad started working for Harry Dare at the Ward End office. He started off as a hod carrier then a lorry driver and worked his way up to transport Forman.
My abiding memories are of the cars Harry owned. My Dad came home in a Buick one day and picked me up at school....that set the neighbours talking. He said he didn't sleep much that night as he was worried sick the car might get nicked. Not many people had a car on Pool Farm Estate and we only had a clapped out Ford Prefect. Harry  had asked Dad to take the Buick to London for a service and I got roped in as it was left hand drive. So I can remember hurtling down the M1 at 120mph....I was only about 12! Still, a day off school and a visit to London Zoo while we waited. I think Dad also brought a Chevvy home on occasions as well.
Harry also would ask Dad to chauffeur him to night clubs in Birmingham city centre and then pick him up later. Perhaps it was when he lost his licence? So Dad had the Rolls Royce for the evening. He would pick up his three mates from Cotteridge working men's club (they were a darts tem)and take them to other club venues. Must have been a sight. Don't know whether Harry ever knew where his Rolls had been?

Spud

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
DJ

I remember you Dad very well as you say he was Transport Foreman for Dares this would be around 1962- 66 this was I worked for Dares
Yes the Dares had quite a collection of cars. If they all left the office in Alum Rock Road at the same time there could be a traffic jam as far back as the Fox & Goose ;D
Harry Dare did have his own Chauffeur a very nice quiet sort of man although Harry did often use your Dad and others to chauffeur him about.
The three sons Patrick David and Robin as i remember seemed to try to out do each Patrick seemed to favour  an old Jaguar but I do remember him importing a huge American job with white wall tyres . We had the job of locating replacement tyres it was quite a task in the early 60s David also had a Jag similar to the one Morse Drove. While Robin sported a very natty Alvis. There was also a Volvo sports knocking about similar to the one Roger Moore drove in the Saint TV series.
There are a number Flats built by Dares around Birmingham which could tell a few stories. The Flats on Stratford Road Shirley was a favourite rendezvous  for a little R&R with co operative secretaries.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy