Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36794 times)

DJ

Re: dare to build
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2017, 03:38:06 PM »
Spud

Dad got me a weeks work at Ward End office in the summer of 68 and I seem to remember spending a good deal of the time cleaning big cars! Reading more of this article also reminds me of how Dad got me a ticket to see the Blues play WBA at Villa Park in 68 in the FA semi-final....obviously because Harry was on the board.
[size=78%]
[/size]

Spud

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
DJ
Yes of course Harry Dare was the Chairman of Blues there was a bit of a gang there at the time David Wiseman [D F Wiseman Plumbing] Harry Morris [Morris and Jacobs Builders] etc and although I got the impression that Harry wanted out when Clifford Coombs eventually took over in the 60s one or two noses were put out of Joint,
Honestly DJ you could write a book or a TV series about the goings on from right at the top to the bottom at Alum Rock Road.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

DJ

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
Spud

Yes a lot of my mum's family lived on or near Alum Rock road. I don't think the Pelham Arms is still there,but my Gran had her own seat in the snug and my aunts and uncles used to sing there on Saturday nights while my cousins and I were outside with our Vimto and crisps

jamesm

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
DJ

Honestly DJ you could write a book or a TV series about the goings on from right at the top to the bottom at Alum Rock Road.
What's stopping you Spud, go on, earn yourself a fortune and it would probably make a lot better than some of the things on offer today O0
P.S. a 1% commission for suggesting it would see me alright if it ever came to fruition ;D ;D ;D [size=78%] [/size]

Spud

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2017, 02:34:03 PM »
DJ
This is a photo taken around 1965 outside the Dares offices in Alum Rock Road. We were all on a days outing to London all paid for by Dares. The Offices were just closed for the day and off we all went. Tickets for the London Palladium and a meal and an almighty booze up at the Criterion In Piccadilly Circus all included. I can't see your Dad on the Photo but thought you might be interested

DJ

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
No I can't see him either, but I do remember him mentioning the London Palladium.

geezer

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
  Harry Dare built 2 houses in 9 days from the first brick to the last coat of paint as recorded on a Pathe newsreel shown in cinemas in 1945.
  This record achievement in 1945 - just after World War II finished - gave him the kick start to build 1000s of houses in the following two decade.
  After building such a successful company it seems unbelievable that it was sold for £1 to William Stern of the Stern Group when it collapsed.
  Ironically, Stern was made bankrupt for £118 million in 1970s and became biggest bankruptcy in British history.  This claim to fame was superceded by Kevin        Maxwell in 1992.
  You can watch the houses being built in 9 days and see Harry Dare on site with all the bricklayers and Dares plant working by googling..................................
[size=78%]   [/size]
[size=78%]   HOUSES AT SPEED 1945 BRITISH PATHE - ANYONE KNOW WHERE THESE  HOUSES WERE BUILT ??????????????????????[/size]

Spud

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
They were built in Shirley Road Hall Green. I think that you will find if you search Through this thread our mate Phil has posted a photo of Harry Dare on the actual site.
When I worked at Dares the story was part of Dares Folklore

Imran1978

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
@ Spud...

Good evening Sir.... Do you have any recollection of any projects in Handsworth Wood, particularly Rosedene Drive/Winleigh Road? I am soon to purchase a property on that road and my neighbours property was registered by Dare in 1962. It seems like my property was built by St. Bernard's? I wonder if you could shed any light or have any photos of that area? I would love to hear from you!

Spud

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
Imran1978

Yes there were two Dare Developments in Handsworth Wood around that. A block of flats 'Endwood Court' and  a housing development  which sounds like the one which you refer to as I remember and this is from my memories of that time the housing development adjoined some grounds owned by the Church and I  Think was just off Handsworth Wood Road. I am sorry I do not have any photographs and I have lost contact with anyone at Dares around that time and as you probably know Dares was wound up many years ago

Imran1978

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
Hi Spud,

Yes, my property is about 10 metres from the Church! I think it was originally called Oakland Church and is now called Birmingham New Church although they still kept some original signage. I manage to locate some old imagery, but unfortunately their doesn't seem to be anything during the dates the houses were built.

Do you recall coming onto this site, or do you know anything more? Basically we are moving from London to Birmingham so any information would be valuable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy