Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36792 times)

Spud

Re: dare to build
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
Hello Imran

I have had another think about your query and a poke round in an old A To Z Street map.
 I did not get on to all of Dares Building Sites but  I do have a very vague recollection of going to the Handworth Wood site and recall the church land being fenced off. Again I believe that the Roads were eventually named St Christophers Close St Annes Close etc but again this is from memory and it may have  been closer to Hamstead Hill rather than Handsworth Wood Road. One thing that does stick in my mind is that one of the houses built was named The Challenge and this was one of the few sites where this particular type house was built.It is quite distinctive resembling a Chalet with a particularly big sloping roof.
The area in the 60s was a quite smart place to live the sort of place you might find professional people might live. I am not sure what the area is like today.
Hope this might help but as I say much of this is from memory
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Imran1978

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »
Spud.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

linwaisee

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »
I remember Dare's too. I also remember the ideal home exhibition and builders like Dare's would build a show house (life size in brick) inside the exhibition hall. I often wonder how long it took to build a complete house for this exhibition. Any ideas?

Spud

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
I was at Dares at the time they exhibited at Bingley Hall I guess the house was built in about a month. The house which Dares built at Bingley Hall was known as 'The Challenge'  if I remember correct  which was quite luxurious at the time a sort a Chalet style with a particularly large sloping roof and the interior had a gallery running above the lounge area.
In an off moment one of Harry Dare's sons [ probably Robin Dare] offered the house as a prize for a competition while the exhibition ran boasting that the winner could have the house built on any of the Dare sites in the midlands. The winners came from Brum and obviously opted for the site in Handsworth Wood this being at the time probably the best site actually in Birmingham. This was of course much to the annoyance of the Dare Family who would have much preferred one of their sites in say Lichfield which would have been a lot cheaper area. . Dares did their best to convince the winners to change their minds but they stuck to their choice of Handsworth Wood.
 Normally the buyer of a Dares House was given the choice bathroom fittings kitchen units colour of tiles in kitchen and Bathroom etc but the winners were given no choice and lets say some of the fittings supplied were not up to the standard you might expect for a house of this standard but it was The infamous Dare family we are talking about .

frederick

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
I remember see that house at Bingley Hall. I think I entered the commpertion.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

linwaisee

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:03 AM »
hi  spud,     thanks for the info. its nice to see that despite our age we still have all our marbles and can recall things from so long ago.     I hope we continue to do so for many more years to.come. 

Spud

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »
Thank you Linwaisse
Another member of BF had recently made enquires about Dare to Build so I had already had my memory jogged. I have already said I could write a book about the antics at Dare to Build the whole place was a den of intrigue. I was there for about 4 years and although I left under bad circumstances so to speak I will never forget it.

linwaisee

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
Spud, I am sure we could all write a book about things we've seen and had happen to us. My old granddad remembered the peaky blinders and as a young lad he used to thrill me with the exploits.

I too have seen bad practices in some of the well known businesses and as I was in management, I saw senior executives really behaving badly.

Yes, we could write books. I wish you all the best and hope you are around for many more years to come, "our kid" and I hope you are in good health to enjoy those years.
Linwaisee (Lin is the Chinese interpretation of my English surname and waisee is the first name they chose for me - it helps to preserve anonymity).

Moseley Man

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
An interesting thread, I heard that a builder lived in the hill top house between Henley and Stratford.
What a character!
What year did H Dare die and what age was he please?

bakedp

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »
Hello Birmingham1993

Sorry i havent looked at this forum for a while. If you do have a contact from Dares I would be interested in buying some land left over from from one of their developments. If you could help that would be great.

Thanks

Spud

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
You are a little late with this enquiry Dares went out of business  30 or 40 years ago perhaps the land Registry people could help you with the current owners of the piece of land you are interested in

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy