Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36808 times)

Des Gardner

Re: dare to build
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
I worked for Harry Dare, we built 3 storey flats on the Stratford Road Shirley, opposite the new Sports Direct shop, which used to be P.C.World, but in those days it used to be Shirley Timber......I spoke to Harry Dare several times when he sometimes came to see the site he came in his Roller of course, he seemed a lovely man......I worked on the Handsworth Wood site Too, I am talking the early 1960s could be 1961 or 1962.......

Spud

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »
The Flats in Shirley are in the course of being re Tiled at the moment. During the Sixties any empty flat in the block had the reputation of being a rendezvous for Mr P Dare and his dalliances !!
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Des Gardner

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
I did not ever meet the two sons but I had heard about them! I spoke to Harry quite a few times, I cant remember which site but I have an idea it was Handsworth Wood  there was a bad snowfall during the night, we got to work ok I had a motorbike in those days anyway we could not do any work at all but on Friday which was pay day Harry said I want you all at St Andrews (Birmingham City FC) you have to get the snow off the pitch he went on to say we have an important game to play on Saturday I think it was the Spurs, I did meet some of the Blues players who we had quite a few laughs with I remember talking to Stan the Wham Lynne I think he had just joined the Blues from the Villa he was a lovely person to speak to......We went on to clean every bit of snow off the pitch it was dark when we finished, we got our pay then had to make our way back to Handsworth Wood to collect my motor bike and some of the others had cars...........oh by the way Blues lost the game and the Spurs said the pitch was great to play on!........I am sure it was Spurs but it was a long time ago! I did not ever meet any of the office staff.......

Claverdoniam

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
I have just discovered this forum.

My family bought David Dare's family house in Claverdon in the 1970s. I no longer own the house, but live nearby.

Susan's account was very interesting. If she is interested, perhaps she would like to contact me please?

David, who sadly died a few years after he sold the house was pleasant and friendly. His wife also. If I remember correctly the sale of the house was a sad time for them both.

Austy Manor is once again a family house.

Spud

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
I have just discovered this forum.

My family bought David Dare's family house in Claverdon in the 1970s. I no longer own the house, but live nearby.

Susan's account was very interesting. If she is interested, perhaps she would like to contact me please?

David, who sadly died a few years after he sold the house was pleasant and friendly. His wife also. If I remember correctly the sale of the house was a sad time for them both.

Austy Manor is once again a family house.

Working for Dares in the 1960s I was interested in your post concerning David Dare. I suppose your family buying David's house was at about the time the Dare Family business collapsed, I guess David would only have been in his fifties when he died I seem to remember he went to live in South Africa.

Claverdoniam

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
I understand it was Patrick who went to South Africa, but subsequently returned. David continued to live in the UK, and I believe, locally. Sadly we were told David died on a day when we were to meet him. I remember his wife was very beautiful.

David's gardener Charlie Fowler who lived in the village continued for a good many years helping us. He was a lovely character, and full of stories of local past life and people from this village. He died a good many years ago. From our conversations, it was clear he worshipped Mrs Dare. He did not like us to make any changes in the garden, because "that was the way Mrs Dare did it"!

MikeBarrington

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »
I have just found this site - I was searching about Dare to Build, really interesting to see a lot of names and places I heard and visited growing up.
My father was Thomas Barrington Vincent - "Barry Vincent" who was an accountant at Dare's on the Alum Rock Road.
We lived in South Africa between 1961 and 1963 whilst they were building flats over there, I remember dad saying that he had flown over there on his own once before on the Comet. My brother David was born over in Durban just before we flew back- he died from Leukemia in 1969.

I remember meeting Harry Dare once at Birmingham City in the Garrison Lane end - and used to see John Dare - don't think he was related quite a bit. Went to Austy Manor once when it was unoccupied and saw the swimming pool outside.
My dad's son Tony Vincent from his first marriage used to run the Crab Mill pub mentioned in one of the posts funnily enough.
There are lot's more things to remember about this - if anyone is interested I  can post them - suffice to say my dad died at home in Stechford Road in September 1974.

Spud

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:40 PM »
Hello Mike
I well remember your Dad. Very very smart man. I liked him very much
Funny we used to use The Crab Mill quite a lot at one time but I think it was taken over by a chap named Salisbury  he turned into to a Gastro Pub he owned others  including  The Orange Tree.
Another coincidence Salisbury's father was John Salisbury the Master Tailor he had a place on the corner of Cateswell Rd and Stratford Rd  which he closed and then worked from his house in Dorridge. I was a customer of his for many years.
Just going  back John Dare was only distantly  related to 'The Dares'.

trucker dan

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
i have always been fascinated  by the history of the dare family in Birmingham  my grandad was a builder in the 30s and 40s also my great grandad  was but other than that i know very little other than the main man died left money and a business to his sons  well my grandad was  working class with a taste for the beer the same was said about his dad so i wonder if anyone could help me out with this little quest for knowledge  my name is Christopher  William Dare my dad was William Henry Dare my grandad was Henry Dare  from hall green

JudyBamfordWalker

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »
I stumbled across this forum by accident. I was reminiscing with one of my daughters and she found Dare to Build.
I worked in the offices (having been interviewed by Dorothy Black) starting as Junior Shorthand Typist in the General Office, I then worked for Barry Vincent for a short time, then moved onto the Estates Office with Mr Bradley. I did some work with Mr Robin too.  My future husband, Alan Walker worked in the Cabinet Shop and when we got engaged, the Cabinet Shop organised a party. When we got married in 1965 the Company paid for our stair carpet in our house in Clements Road, Yardley. 
I have a number of photographs of events at Alum Rock Road, Ward End, including a Staff Outing to Windsor and Maidenhead and some from the Christmas Party that took place at Bats Hall.  I was one of the Office girls that took part in the CanCan there and have the photos to prove it. 
I do have a Quarterly Bulletin of The Dare News, 1962 1st Edition, which shows some of the houses being built at that time, and also shows some pictures from the Christmas Party.  Other photographs are from the Centenary Celebration 1865-1965, held at Penns Hall, Sutton Coldfield.
I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, having read some of the posts.
Happy to post photos if anyone is interested.

Spud

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »
I worked for  H Dare from 1962 to 1966 during that time they were only building Private Housing they did however in the years just after the war built a large number houses for Birmingham Council in the Kinghurst area
I can only speak from memory about the sites being developed  during my 4 years at Dares
Endwood Court Handsworth
Handsworth Wood
Flats Stratford Rd Shirley Harwood Grove and   Small Site in Burman Rd Shirley
Brandwood Rd Kings Heath (Flats)
Abnalls Lane Lichfield
ParkHall Est nr Walsall
Sandbanks Poole
Various Sites in Stratford on Avon
Marston Green near to the Railway Station
De Mont Fort Court Henley In Arden
Rednal
They also had some Big Developments in Manchester
Around this time they also tried unsuccessfully Contract Building for a Company named Agip Petrol
Around 1940/50 they built  houses in Shirley Rd Hall Green
This is very much from my memory so just bear that in mind

The company went bust I would guess in the late 70s

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy