Author Topic: bishop street balsall heath  (Read 21459 times)

tramp

Re: bishop street balsall heath
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »
Hi sailor,

It's readily understandable why you didn't ask about your birth mom; as children we do not give things an importance when they're not explained to us in detail, and no one did, when you were told that you were adopted - it was literally ''end of conversation'' and as a boy rather than a girl, the implications were wholly different especially as it seems that your biological dad hardly got a mention - not even his name. 

Phil, Fred, John and me all had family ''disruptions'' of various sorts, so you're in good company...and we're all about the same age - you, Fred & me are exactly the same age, and last year Fred found long lost brothers - he's as pleased as punch O0

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »
Hello Sailor

Sorted another photo for you, this one is of the Wellington Inn on the corner of Bishop St.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Chandos kid

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »
The welly is now a curry takeaway, my sister and Mum still live a few yards from it. It was closed down last year for a while due to 'insanitary' conditions.

john2000

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »
CK, next time you see your mom and sister, ask them if the remember a guy called Jimmy Anderson, and what ever happened to him and his mother, ( he too lived just down the street on the right, ,,,J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Chandos kid

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
The name doesnt ring a bell with me (Im 44) My sis is 49 and brother 53. We moved into the area in 69.

john2000

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
Thanks CK, but it was a little before your time, old Andy would be in his late 60's now, ..have a nice day... John 2000.. :coolsmiley:

Andy Capp

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
HI ALL
I ALWAYS THOUGHT WEATHERSHIELDS MADE WINDOW SCREENS FOR THE MOTOR INDUSTRY BUT I'M NOT SURE. ANDY CAPP

joeboybollo

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
The welly is now a curry takeaway, my sister and Mum still live a few yards from it. It was closed down last year for a while due to 'insanitary' conditions.
Hi,CK. About the Wellington pub.If this is the pub on the corner of Gooch St. and Bishop St.(which it looks like from the photo) I had a quick pint in it only 5 or 6 weeks ago after dropping my wife into town. I went in for old times sake as I was born and lived in this street until I was 14 and then the family got ''promoted to a new maisonette in Simons Rd. Nechells just by Kellett Road.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »
Phil.... looking at them photos reminds me of flat caps and scarves... O0 J2

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
J2

Don't forget the Whippets

Phil
Make Love Not War

alanmillard

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
I remember a firm called Weathershields,it was either in Bishop St. or Bissel st, I think it was
the former?
A lad I knew set it on fire, his name was Lenny Wren.
There was a bomb peck opposite the factory, and next to our row of back to backs
in Barford st, was the City Rolling Mills.
When they started work our house vibrated.
At sometime the concil filled the cellers with concrete.to stop any subsidence.
The rent my sister paid was 6 shillings and 8 pence per week [a third of a pound old money]!!
hi joe i remember the peck well we had our bon fires there and they were grat i lived in barford st next to the barber shop just down from addis removals i spent many an hour with Frank addis he was the nicest man i ever met
alan