Author Topic: bishop street balsall heath  (Read 36590 times)

Bari

Re: bishop street balsall heath
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

Does anyone recall Robert Askey lived near to Hope Street.
I think therefore I am

Bertie

« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
ONe off my fonest memories off Monks was our dog Peggy went out one day with her two puppys, and came back dragging a big link of sausage with the puppys holding on to them also.The bomb site in Sherbourne Road was one off my playgrounds we girls would lay the bricks out like a house and play house.We lived in Longbridge Road

Bari

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
ONe off my fonest memories off Monks was our dog Peggy went out one day with her two puppys, and came back dragging a big link of sausage with the puppys holding on to them also.The bomb site in Sherbourne Road was one off my playgrounds we girls would lay the bricks out like a house and play house.We lived in Longbridge Road
Don't suppose you recall the Coles.
I think therefore I am

Gee Gee

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
phil thanks for allowing the correspondence , i believe carol works shifts so cannot come on all the time it would be good move to remove the no , itried to send you a private post yesterday about it but i got waylaid , thanks rwm
Hello rw McGowan,
                                I have been reading through a few of your posts re,
The Army at Abingdon.My brother in law Tom Hunt,ex Upper cox street, was in the Para's and stationed at Abingdon 1954,one of his school mates was Moss Hawkins.
St Annes school,I also went to st Annes.
There was a family McGowan that used to live on the Stratford road,opposite Smiths coaches,
They were a large family who also went to St Annes.
My sister was very friendly with Anne McGowan,still is Anne now lives out at Oldbury.

pmed830

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »
Hi I remember those pigs very well...us kids had great fun chasing the piglets..
I lived in Sherborne road 2 houses down from the 'Brit' pub...my dad was bartender there as well as the Electric in Belgrave Rd...anyone remember us? My mum only had one leg and there was 7 of us kids...me the eldest!
pauline
You are right about it bring in Longmore Street but they used to take the pigs in an entrance in Sherbourne road us kids would rush to see them come.Sometimes they would escape and run around on the bomb site facing or up the road.BY the way I am a girl and I live in Longbridge Road from when I was born in 1942 till 1954

rwmcgowan

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
gee gee,  my family came  out of balsall heath road,  we moved there after being bombed out of our previous home in 1940,  i knew tommy hunt also  the clarke family who lived in cox street  west , also met ivor slater , who lived in wenman street  at abingdon , all the best rwm.

speedy

« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »
I remember a firm called Weathershields,it was either in Bishop St. or Bissel st, I think it was
the former?
A lad I knew set it on fire, his name was Lenny Wren.
There was a bomb peck opposite the factory, and next to our row of back to backs
in Barford st, was the City Rolling Mills.
When they started work our house vibrated.
At sometime the concil filled the cellers with concrete.to stop any subsidence.
The rent my sister paid was 6 shillings and 8 pence per week [a third of a pound old money]!!
hi sailor I also lived in Barford st 1940 / 1952 speedy

jpbwarwick

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
I've just come across this thread whilst searching for information on Weathershields Limited of 147-163 Bishop Street and noticed that no mention was made of the Company's contribution to the wartime production of aircraft.

During World War 2, Weathershields manufactured complete windscreens and cockpit hood assemblies for the Bristol Beaufighter and the Vickers Wellington bomber.

If anyone has a wartime period photograph of Bishop Street showing the Weathershields factory, I should be most grateful.

cocacolakid

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2015, 01:19:17 PM »
Sailor

Weathershields  were motor car accesory manufacturers in Bishop Street. I remember the name but I can't remember what they used to make. Could it have been these canvass covers that they used to put over cars?

Phil

Phil..

I believe Weathershiields made Windscreens for cars, and windshields for motorcycles.  I feel sure they also made the little plastic fly deflectors that used to be fitted on the front of car bonnets in the 1950s,  The older ones amongst us will no doubt remember them, they were popular during this period.

.                                                                     
    Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Hayley Hewitt

Re: hope st school balsall heath
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
Does anyone remember my brother Bobby Hewitt?
He died in 1957 at just 15yrs old
If anyone has any photos or memories id love to see and share them
Tnx Hayley Hewitt

Michelle edwards

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
My mom (Brenda Godfrey) lived next to the Wellington pub. She was 11 years old when her mom died and lived there for a while with her brother Harold. She passed away in May 2014 aged 74. Her mom had a shop at the same premises when my mom was a young girl

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy